BuggyMasters.Com - An On Line Mini Buggy Forum and Go Kart Forum

BuggyMasters.Com - An On Line Mini Buggy Forum and Go Kart Forum (http://www.buggymasters.com/forum/index.php)
-   Mini Buggy General Discussion (http://www.buggymasters.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   helix re-gear/ Baja brake lines / Baja reverse (http://www.buggymasters.com/forum/showthread.php?t=756)

jimd 04-26-2010 09:41 AM

helix re-gear/ Baja brake lines / Baja reverse

The Helix is geared way too high for our track. My baja is killing them, and they want to re-gear.
Which is more effective? Change rollers in clutch or change sprocket? I can pickup a rear sprocket just up the street for about $10 and drill the 4 mounting holes myself.

Also, I need brake lines for the baja. The 2 front ones are leaking under pressure. Should I go direct to baja?
I have no reverse, as in no handle (could swap out the parking brake though), no cable (same story) and basically nothing at the engine, other than a rubber grommet that goes into the tranny.
On our helix, there is a stud sticking out that twists to change gears, but not on the baja, so I don't know what I'm missing.
JimD

jimd 04-26-2010 09:43 AM

Also, if anyone has a write-up or something on changing the rollers, please point me to it. I saw one online at spiderboxperformance, but the link was dead. If it's easier to change the rollers, I may keep a variety on hand for different track types.

olderthan 04-26-2010 10:56 AM

did you go to the web site i told you about
for reverse cable and reverse control lever?
take a front brake cable off go to auto parts
store and match up they will have metric sizes
then you bend by hand to match

olderthan 04-26-2010 10:57 AM

told you would like the baja
email me and i will sent you to
a guy that has probaly got parts
look on here buggymaster has
write up w/video on clutch
& varitor
johnhseay@yahoo.com

EJ Mac 04-26-2010 07:32 PM

Where exactly are you located? If you are close I may be able to help. Have you found any good place to ride around you? I'm in Skiatook.

BuggyMaster 04-26-2010 07:53 PM

Baja is actually priced better on their parts than most of their resellers. Sometimes, significantly.

The Helix has an internal reverse mechanism vs the baja's external planetary set. The cable goes to a lever at the output area of the tranny and operates a rod that sets the forward vs reverse. At least, that is how ours was set up. The American Sportworks machines are the only ones I have seen with that internal reverse so far.

olderthan 04-26-2010 08:02 PM

if you are looking for places to ride
go to this site and put in okla
or any other state you want to ride in
www.riderplanet-usa.com

jimd 04-26-2010 09:22 PM

I live in Mounds, just south of Tulsa a bit. Right now, we just ride on our land. about 5 acres.

jimd 04-26-2010 09:23 PM

We're planning a trip to the Gruber ORV next month, so I want to get the buggies in top shape.

EJ Mac 04-26-2010 10:42 PM

Yeah we were schedule to go to the National Buggy Bash in Parkhills Mo. the end of June, but got a surgery scheduled instead. Sad thing is I've just about got 2 of our 3 250's lined out and the 3rd one should be up and running in the next few weeks. Where is Gruber at?

jimd 04-27-2010 08:55 AM

South east a bit, near Muskogee.

olderthan 04-27-2010 09:39 AM

when i lived in arkansas we rode at gruber
with our samurai's neat place

EJ Mac 04-27-2010 10:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by olderthan (Post 7383)
when i lived in arkansas we rode at gruber
with our samurai's neat place

What kind of terrain do they have there and how big is the place. Jimd I might have to meet up with you down there sounds interesting.

jimd 04-27-2010 10:15 AM

We went down last week and walked a good portion of it. Mostly wooded area, but some good open spaces, rock crawling, and a very large mud area that was hard-caked when I was there. I'm sure a bit of rain and its a slop-fest. I envision much winching.
JimD

jimd 04-27-2010 10:16 AM

We never walked that far (probably a square mile) but the satellite photo shows a large oval too.

olderthan 04-27-2010 10:43 AM

guys
i live in nevada now so don't plan on me going
but look up on ridersplanet had lots of trail riding
in woods good rock crawling lots of creek crossings
and some big open areas if i remimber right the
offical name is camp gruber

EJ Mac 04-28-2010 01:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jimd (Post 7385)
We went down last week and walked a good portion of it. Mostly wooded area, but some good open spaces, rock crawling, and a very large mud area that was hard-caked when I was there. I'm sure a bit of rain and its a slop-fest. I envision much winching.
JimD

What date are you going? Do you have an address for the place? I would like to try and make it if possible we got 2 buggies equipped with winches and that place sounds like a blast.

chuckorlando 04-28-2010 04:54 AM

Tomberlin has internal reverse as well

jimd 04-28-2010 09:51 AM

Not sure when I'm going. I'm waiting to hear back from the campground as to when they have cabins available.

jimd 04-28-2010 05:28 PM

Just got reserved for 17th and 18th of May. I didn't want ot be there on the weekends with Memorial day coming!