BuggyMasters.Com - An On Line Mini Buggy Forum and Go Kart Forum

BuggyMasters.Com - An On Line Mini Buggy Forum and Go Kart Forum (http://www.buggymasters.com/forum/index.php)
-   Mini Buggy General Discussion (http://www.buggymasters.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   helix or carbide (http://www.buggymasters.com/forum/showthread.php?t=511)

yerf3206 01-04-2010 07:57 PM

helix or carbide

ok.well my dad ordered a hammerhead 250ss.wooooo.he said maby for my b-day he will get me a new buggy.yaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa booooooooooooyyyyyyyyyyyy.i have a budget of 2300.i am looking at the helix and carbide.what should i get.wich one rides better?witch one is more durable.(i ride on hard core trails.)what one is more trail frendly.(i have some tigh trails.)wich one feals like it has more power? wich one is faster?witch one is a better value.witch one has more cabin room?

Famlfax 01-04-2010 08:20 PM

helix, helix, helix, helix.

Carbide looks nicer, but is slower, and doesn't climb as well. Why? It's simple.

The helix and carbide have identicle drive trains, yet the carbide is considerably heavier.

Also, I have a helix for sale :)

$750 takes it, and leave you cash to upgrade whatever you would like. :)

joshstep1 01-04-2010 08:26 PM

Even though the Carbide is a bit heavier, I was still very impressed with mine right out of the crate. Slap a few mods on it and it will easily beat a Helix anyday.

Famlfax 01-04-2010 08:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by joshstep1 (Post 5041)
Even though the Carbide is a bit heavier, I was still very impressed with mine right out of the crate. Slap a few mods on it and it will easily beat a Helix anyday.

:banghead:

:rofl:

You do realize any mods done to the carbide will be even more effective on a helix? Power to weight ratio.

Come on kids, think before you type. I'm not just making things up. I ride with a carbide all the time. My buddy bought one after I picked up my helix. He has said more times then I can count "I should have bought a helix.".

joshstep1 01-04-2010 08:36 PM

I know; I was comparing a modded Carbide versus a stock Helix.

Famlfax 01-04-2010 09:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by joshstep1 (Post 5044)
I know; I was comparing a modded Carbide versus a stock Helix.

Ok, that's kinda dumb.

Besides being slower, and climbing like an arthritic camel, the suspension on the carbide is not as long as a helix. The nose of the carbide sticks out waaay tooo far and tends to dig in when driving into a ditch. Where as the helix has tires out front, and will climb out, not get manually removed. Nobody likes to have to get out of their cart to help a buddy get unstuck. :hooaray:

joshstep1 01-04-2010 09:08 PM

Well, I'm happy with my Carbide.

booda72 01-04-2010 09:08 PM

Ahmen

BuggyMaster 01-04-2010 09:16 PM

It's a tossup but the deciding factor may be in what you said about tight trails. The Carbide has a better turning radius and that will be evident on tight trails. With the helix, we had to make one or two three point turns on tight trails where I think the carbide would have went through in one pass. I actually think that the Carbide is a little more comfortable. I believe it is essentially the same thing as a hammerhead GT200.

Durability wise, I think the helix will hold up better over time.

The Helix performed better in all of our tests. See the you tube vids. But, if you are doing mostly trail riding, either one will be fine. You are not going to get max performance on tight trails. You'll see the performance difference in a drag race or on more opened up situations.

In either one, you can't go wrong and you'll have tons of fun.

Quote:

Originally Posted by yerf3206 (Post 5039)
ok.well my dad ordered a hammerhead 250ss.wooooo.he said maby for my b-day he will get me a new buggy.yaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa booooooooooooyyyyyyyyyyyy.i have a budget of 2300.i am looking at the helix and carbide.what should i get.wich one rides better?witch one is more durable.(i ride on hard core trails.)what one is more trail frendly.(i have some tigh trails.)wich one feals like it has more power? wich one is faster?witch one is a better value.witch one has more cabin room?

ExterroKy 01-05-2010 03:59 AM

I own a Helix and I have rode a carbide but after suspension work the Helix rode great and I like the longer a frames in the front plus longer wheel base rides better, I just dont like the funky top roll bar on the Helix other than that helix is my pick

BuggyMaster 01-05-2010 01:39 PM

What kind of suspension work did you do to your helix?

24evanwilson 01-05-2010 03:24 PM

of corse the two are great machinesbut the helix is faster durable, and light weight !!!:)

joshstep1 01-05-2010 03:27 PM

And......

Jonathan's Carbide 150cc 01-10-2010 05:38 PM

I saw a Helix before and sat in it. I am very impressed with the Carbide, not the Helix.
Besides, the Helix has the same engine as the Carbide. Whats it matter anyways?

EJ Mac 01-10-2010 06:23 PM

There is a guy in NJ with a 2008 baja reaction 150 bone stock that has been well maintained and he is asking $700. PM me for details if interested.

24evanwilson 01-10-2010 06:47 PM

youll notice lol

24evanwilson 01-10-2010 06:48 PM

its how they drive really

MudRunner03 01-05-2011 01:49 PM

I personally own a helix 150cc stock and i got it last christmas lil things went wrong like brake caliper but thats nothin wrong wit the cart i just wore the pats and ****ed it up we got a new one kind of pricy and the master cyclinder went out but its cause i was riding and smashed on my brakes and a suzuki streetbike has the same exact set up but so much better deigned... my buddy has a modded carbine just filter and exaust but my helix blows him outta the water.. in the mud his is so heavy he can do to much it seems to where the helix is lite and spins right throught... when we go trail riding there was a heal that looked like a joke.. my helix went right up and his carbine bogged down lmao... the carbine has nice features prolly more comftorable but the performace comes more from helix IMO