BuggyMasters.Com - An On Line Mini Buggy Forum and Go Kart Forum

BuggyMasters.Com - An On Line Mini Buggy Forum and Go Kart Forum (http://www.buggymasters.com/forum/index.php)
-   150cc GY6 and Under Engine Tech (http://www.buggymasters.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=29)
-   -   Trouble with gy6 150 getting cranked (http://www.buggymasters.com/forum/showthread.php?t=5841)

danthony 06-17-2016 02:06 PM

Trouble with gy6 150 getting cranked

Hey everyone, I'm working on another buggy with the gy6 150...having trouble getting it to crank, and when it finally does, can't give it any gas without dieing..got the buggy off a guy that had it sittin up for a while...so went ahead and ordered and out on
1. New 26mm carb
2. New fuel petcock
3. New fuel and vent lines
4. New manifold..
5. New plug

I have great blue spark when it turns over...anybody think it could be the valves out??? If so what do they need to be set at? Need some help bad!!

Miamieddie 06-17-2016 11:21 PM

.004 both sides

danthony 06-17-2016 11:26 PM

Thank ya

BuggyMaster 06-18-2016 12:23 AM

Some are just pigheaded in the automatic choke department to where you just gotta let it sit there and idle long enough for the choke to start closing off and then you can slowly start feathering into the gas until its fully warm. Have seen this many, many times.

When valve adjustment helps the idle its because the valve seats have sunk a little which takes out any lash. You see this mostly on newer machines. Eventually the seats sink as much as they are going to go and your adjustment remains good. I do mine .003-.004 on both cause I like a quiet engine but some recommend more on the intake side. From your description I think you have a pigheaded choke situation.

danthony 06-20-2016 11:10 AM

I will recheck the choke/fuel enricher..but i have tried 4 different carbs and they all do the same thing...will these buggies crank but not run good if the timming is out one tooth or so???? Also, just found a rat nest in the pick-up coil/ cooling fan area on this buggy...lmbo!!!! They might have nawed up a wire or two, i will be pulling the magnento, pick-up coil off and check it all over real good in the next couple of days..

danthony 06-20-2016 11:13 AM

Buggymaster, i let this machine run for about 6-7 mins the other day, just at idle, and i never could feather the throttle any without dying out...i hoping i have a chewed up wire from the rats that got in this buggy.. I don't know on this one

ShoeBoxLen 06-20-2016 02:34 PM

I had this problem for me it ended up being the fuel petcock. replaced it and it ran smooth as a new buggy not sure if it is the same for you but worth a shot. as a test you could set up a simple gravity feed fuel source.

BuggyMaster 06-20-2016 04:55 PM

What was the carb designed for ( the new one you put on)? Why not clean the existing carb which you know is jetted properly? Not likely an electrical problem. Typically an electrical problem is all or none. Not always the case but ysually. The other way to tell is give it a little shot of catb cleaner as someone else oedals the gas. If it takes...then you have fuel issue. If it kills it quicker than could have a too-much-fuel issue.

danthony 06-21-2016 07:08 AM

I tried to replace the fuel petcock and it still does the same thing...i went back with the same design as the original carb, only difference is this one is a 26 mm...still jetted the same..running a 105 main jet...had to replace because the original carb was missing in action...did not have one on it when i got the buggy...one thing i just found out!! This motor came off a helix 150, and the buggy i'm working on is a trailmaster....the original trailmaster motor, i was told, was blown up....so, the feller im working on the buggy for, replaced the motor with a helix gy6 150...i do see alot of cut wires and splices all over the place on this buggy, so that is why i was thinking i had an electrical issue too..he cut away all the plug in's and has wire nuts on the wires....so, i guess i need to find a helix 150 wiring harness??? Any ideas???

danthony 06-21-2016 07:08 AM

Diaphram based carb that i put on this buggy..

BuggyMaster 06-21-2016 09:20 AM

Well one thing that is significant is the Helix is one of the few buggies that uses a DC based CDI box. I am curious how all that is wired. Let me think on this a bit.

BuggyMaster 06-21-2016 09:23 AM

Any chance you have a timing light? Its great for knowing if you have spark or not while the machine is running. You simply point it on the floor and give it gas and if the spark dies first and then the engine you know you have an electrical issue.

BEEFKING69 06-21-2016 11:35 AM

Where did you find a 26mm carb? ive only seen one and it came off of a carter brothers mid size 150.

danthony 06-22-2016 07:19 AM

BuggyMaster, I FOUND A WIRING SCHEMATIC OF A HELIX 150 AND A TRAILMASTER 150, AND LAST NIGHT I SAT DOWN AND STARTED ALL OVER WITH THE WIRING ON THIS BUGGY...AND THE TRAILMASTER AND THE HELIX THAT I'M WORKING ON ARE BOTH DC FIRE CDI BUGGIES...IT ONLY TOOK ABOUT 1 1/2 HOURS AND I HAD IT RUNNING GOOD...THE GUY THAT I'M WORKING ON THIS CART FOR HAD IT WIRED ALL MESSED UP!!! HE DIDN'T HAVE THE TRIGGER WIRE, OFF THE STATOR, WIRED INTO ANYTHING...AND ON THIS CART THE BLACK WITH A RED STRIPE COMING OUT OF THE STATOR, DOESN'T GO TO ANYTHING...WELL, HE HAD IT AS A GROUND WIRE, AND HE TIED IT INTO 3 DIFFERENT WIRES!!! :cussing: ALSO, HE HAD THE CHOKE/FUEL ENRICHER WIRED TO BOTH A GROUND WIRE FROM THE FRAME AND A GOUND TO THE BATTERY!!! :banghead: IT IS SUSPOSED TO WIRE UP TO THE YELLOW WIRE OUT OF THE VOLTAGE REGULATOR AND THE GREEN WIRE THAT GOES TO THE 10AMP RESISTER ON THIS BUGGY...I DON'T EVEN SEE HOW THE BUGGY WOULD START AT ALL IN THE BEGINNING....BUT, SHE RUNS LIKE A CHAMP NOW, THANKS EVERYONE FOR ALL THE HELP AND SUGGESTIONS...YALL DON'T KNOW HOW MUCH I REALLY APPRECIATE IT ALL....

danthony 06-22-2016 07:27 AM

BEEFKING69, I FOUND THE 26mm CARB ON AMAZON I BELIEVE...THEY HAD SOME THAT I LOOKED AT AND, I THINK I SEEN SOME ON EBAY TOO..I HAVE PUT THE 26mm ON THE LAST 4 BUGGIES I HAVE WORKED ON AND THEY DO REALLY GOOD.. THEY USUALLY COME WITH A 105-110 MAIL JET IN THEM...NOW ON 3 OF THE BUGGIES I HAD TO REJET THE CARB, BECAUSE THEY HAD SOME MODS DONE LIKE: HIGH FLO AIR INTAKE, HOT COIL, ADVANCED CDI, PERFORMANCE VARIATOR WITH 11 GRAIN SLIDERS, MAIN CLUTCH SPRING CHANGED OUT, DIFFERENT CLUTCHES, AND MODIFIED EXHAUST SYSTEMS..SO WITH THOSE WE WENT WITH ANYWHERE FROM A 115-125...JUST HAD TO PLAY AROUND WITH THEM AND SEE WHERE THEY RAN THE BEST AT...

BEEFKING69 06-23-2016 01:43 AM

Engine/butterfly side true 26mm ID? ive seen alot advertised as 26mm but they were really 24mm

danthony 06-23-2016 07:41 AM

True 26mm

BEEFKING69 06-23-2016 01:58 PM

How much?

EVILWS6 06-23-2016 03:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BEEFKING69 (Post 50268)
How much?

Just go to Amazon and put 26mm Carburetor in the search. Lots of them to choose from starting at $20.79 and up.

danthony 06-28-2016 12:09 PM

I paid somewhere around 30 bucks for it

4ives 02-24-2017 06:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by danthony (Post 50251)
BuggyMaster, I FOUND A WIRING SCHEMATIC OF A HELIX 150 AND A TRAILMASTER 150, AND LAST NIGHT I SAT DOWN AND STARTED ALL OVER WITH THE WIRING ON THIS BUGGY...AND THE TRAILMASTER AND THE HELIX THAT I'M WORKING ON ARE BOTH DC FIRE CDI BUGGIES...IT ONLY TOOK ABOUT 1 1/2 HOURS AND I HAD IT RUNNING GOOD...THE GUY THAT I'M WORKING ON THIS CART FOR HAD IT WIRED ALL MESSED UP!!! HE DIDN'T HAVE THE TRIGGER WIRE, OFF THE STATOR, WIRED INTO ANYTHING...AND ON THIS CART THE BLACK WITH A RED STRIPE COMING OUT OF THE STATOR, DOESN'T GO TO ANYTHING...WELL, HE HAD IT AS A GROUND WIRE, AND HE TIED IT INTO 3 DIFFERENT WIRES!!! :cussing: ALSO, HE HAD THE CHOKE/FUEL ENRICHER WIRED TO BOTH A GROUND WIRE FROM THE FRAME AND A GOUND TO THE BATTERY!!! :banghead: IT IS SUSPOSED TO WIRE UP TO THE YELLOW WIRE OUT OF THE VOLTAGE REGULATOR AND THE GREEN WIRE THAT GOES TO THE 10AMP RESISTER ON THIS BUGGY...I DON'T EVEN SEE HOW THE BUGGY WOULD START AT ALL IN THE BEGINNING....BUT, SHE RUNS LIKE A CHAMP NOW, THANKS EVERYONE FOR ALL THE HELP AND SUGGESTIONS...YALL DON'T KNOW HOW MUCH I REALLY APPRECIATE IT ALL....

By any chance, can you help me out with a wiring picture, I bought one exactly with the same issues like yours. all the wiring is wrong.

danthony 03-01-2017 10:49 AM

Do you need the trailmaster diagram or the helix diagram??

4ives 03-02-2017 09:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by danthony (Post 52254)
Do you need the trailmaster diagram or the helix diagram??

Helix:cheers:

SYCARMS 03-06-2017 01:44 PM

You can download the entire service manual from American Landmaster. You want the model 6150 manual.