BuggyMasters.Com - An On Line Mini Buggy Forum and Go Kart Forum

BuggyMasters.Com - An On Line Mini Buggy Forum and Go Kart Forum (http://www.buggymasters.com/forum/index.php)
-   Go Kart Engine and Torque Converter Tech (http://www.buggymasters.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=32)
-   -   ?Highest gear for a Torque Converter? (http://www.buggymasters.com/forum/showthread.php?t=5718)

ModdedMotor212 03-20-2016 12:05 AM

?Highest gear for a Torque Converter?

i am currently on a 4.8:1 ratio.
i tried that ratio with a clutch and it runs good,even spins the tire on dirt but gets hot really quick.

Now i'm installing a torque converter and am wondering how high i can go before running into acceleration or top speed problems. or any other problems.

question 2:

is this 4.8 : 1 ratio with this torque converter ( 30 series tav2 ) always going to have a big jolt in torque at any gear ratio? (i'm lengthening the kart so it'll be a while before i use it)
How about if i install a 3200 or higher rpm engaging spring and weights? i'm guessing it will have the glued-to-the-seat acceleration i desire (which would be more than most) .

What i am going for is pure acceleration even if the tires need to spin all the way to 50 mph.

i guess what i'm going for is a rapidly- accelerating kart without killing the belt if possible. heck, i'll even try it one time if it does what i want even if it'll shred the belt.

If i missed any scenarios fill me in. i guess i should've named myself AdrenalineJunkie2000 hahahahaha.

scjeep4.7HO 03-20-2016 07:17 AM

They work best when you match them to the gear ratio to the HP the engine makes.

ModdedMotor212 04-03-2016 10:51 PM

Well i finally got to try the torque converter today and i like how i can accelerate smoothly at 5mph up hills. It just wasn't accelerating quick enough like i desired so i put the spring at hole #1.

So i was testing it and at first didn't notice a difference. Now i'm riding at about 15mph and all of a sudden it's like the TorqueVerter kicked into 60% overdrive ,lol, seriously. 15 mph and the dead-axle tire just decided to dig into the ground and slow me down until it made a hole.
After that i couldn't move ANYWHERE, even after moving away from the hole. It would just dig and not move on flat medium-soft dirt/grass. I guess there's a break-in period with these things and that's my TAV2 break-in experience.
EDIT: forgot to add i'm using a 4.8:1 ratio .

Does it boost torque? Oh yeah.
i can't wait to find out how to make the Predator start at least 1 out of 5 tries so i can test some more.

ModdedMotor212 04-06-2016 07:51 PM

i also should add it will peel out in 1 spot for 2 seconds before it even starts moving.
i will be buying a 12 tooth driver gear soon. i hope that will be fine for my acceleration and speed needs and desires.
if not , then a 40 tooth driven gear will be bought depending on how much peeling out is done.