BuggyMasters.Com - An On Line Mini Buggy Forum and Go Kart Forum

BuggyMasters.Com - An On Line Mini Buggy Forum and Go Kart Forum (http://www.buggymasters.com/forum/index.php)
-   Mini Buggy General Discussion (http://www.buggymasters.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   No spark on the Helix (http://www.buggymasters.com/forum/showthread.php?t=199)

MrTrucker 08-31-2009 08:06 PM

No spark on the Helix

My kids were playing around the other day and it stopped running I did everything I know to do and realized there is no spark I look at the Parts Manual and Im not sure what needs to be replaced any help will be appreciated Thanks

24evanwilson 08-31-2009 08:11 PM

did you clean/ get a new plug?

MrTrucker 08-31-2009 08:12 PM

I pulled the plug and it looks fine. I put the plug in the wire and turned the engine over with no spark

PatNY 08-31-2009 08:50 PM

I say get a new plug anyway, and you can
rule out a bad spark plug.

Check the wires plugging onto coil Wire.
Check for damage on the coil wire. (Might need a new one)
Are all the wires plugging into cdi making good connections?

Make sure your green ground wire is grounded.

MrTrucker 08-31-2009 09:06 PM

Ill try that, have to work and then 3 days off to try to figure it out. Thanks

BuggyMaster 08-31-2009 09:29 PM

The other day I was messing around with our Helix. I happened to look down at the coil and noticed that one of the two wires going to it (not the fat spark plug wire) was barely hanging on. One decent jump and it would have fallen off and I too would have had no spark.

Point being, take a look at your wires and make sure they are all on tight and secure.

The only other thing I personally have seen crap out is in fact the CDI.

How old is your buggy?

MrTrucker 08-31-2009 10:03 PM

Just bought it last week, was looking at the wires and everything appears normal. I am going to look more closely when I get time off. Can i take the cdi someplace to have it tested or would it be better just to replace it?

24evanwilson 09-01-2009 01:59 PM

i had to zip tie my spark wire

BuggyMaster 09-01-2009 02:07 PM

i don't know of a way to test it other than to replace it with a known good and see if it works. The thing you have to recognize on the Helix is that they use a DC based CDI which is not typical. If you are going to buy one, get one from a supporting vendor. They usually have them without a rev limiter and the cost is nearly the same as if you had to get one from gokartsrus.

BuggyMaster 09-01-2009 02:08 PM

Hey, if you bought it a week ago, did you buy it new as in still under warranty?

MrTrucker 09-01-2009 07:40 PM

I called tsc today and it might be a week or two before until they can get it in to fix it

24evanwilson 09-01-2009 07:53 PM

man!!!:eek::eek:

BuggyMaster 09-01-2009 08:32 PM

well if you don't feel like waiting, go ahead and get one from a supporting vendor. The way I look at it, you're finding out if it is the CDI that is your prob and that is not what it is, then you still gained a performance part.