BuggyMasters.Com - An On Line Mini Buggy Forum and Go Kart Forum

BuggyMasters.Com - An On Line Mini Buggy Forum and Go Kart Forum (http://www.buggymasters.com/forum/index.php)
-   BuggyMasters Track Attack (http://www.buggymasters.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=58)
-   -   Helix with clutch and variator mods! (http://www.buggymasters.com/forum/showthread.php?t=145)

BuggyMaster 08-16-2009 04:33 PM

Helix with clutch and variator mods!

This is where the value of these track attack videos will be evident.

Standing start: 38:60
Rolling start: 37:22

The Helix in stock form ran 38:51 for the standing start and 36:53 for the rolling start. The bottom line, as you'll see from the vid results, is that those clutch mods didn't help us at all. In fact, we were a little slower, more noticeable on the rolling start. We also lost a few MPH on the top end in a top end test, but that was kinda to be expected because of the 12 gram sliders.

This doesn't mean that clutch mods don't work, this is just evidence of the need to pick your mods wisely and pick your mods based on your riding style. For OUR particular type of riding, where its mostly a flat track, the clutch mods don't help us. If we were trail riding where top end doesn't have nearly as much value, the clutch mods would be great.

Anyways, here's the vid:

24evanwilson 08-16-2009 08:00 PM

oh yeah baby!

Famlfax 10-10-2009 07:22 PM

You should have the same kind of thing, but a hill climb, or another situation that has more to do with low end torque. I'm willing to bet the majority of people are not flat tracking these carts.

24evanwilson 10-10-2009 09:25 PM

me and foxracer do!

Famlfax 10-11-2009 10:23 AM

I'm not saying me and the guys don't race around fields and what not, but especially in the case of the Carbide, low end torque needs improvement big time.

24evanwilson 10-11-2009 11:12 AM

oh lol i agree

Famlfax 10-11-2009 12:56 PM

I know at this point, I haven't seen any videos or "times" that justify clutch mods. the on road video shows the helix falling on it's face off the line...... theeen takes off.

I would rather see a video of a helix bogging up a hill, then some lighter weights etc, and the helix rips up the hill you know? Those are the mods I'm interested in. I'm just not sure what a proper combo would be. My thoughts are, engage higher in the rev count, but also rev higher to make up for top end.

Xrims 10-12-2009 03:09 AM

The mods I put in my carbide have made a tremendous improvement.It took alot of different setups and arragements but now that its dialed in it has great low end and good top end!

BuggyMaster 10-12-2009 08:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Famlfax (Post 2320)
You should have the same kind of thing, but a hill climb, or another situation that has more to do with low end torque. I'm willing to bet the majority of people are not flat tracking these carts.

Clutch mods are definately a thing for heavy trail riding guys. On our new track I suspect these clutch mods would in fact make a difference. If I gotta go back into the clutch area again any time soon I'll run some before and after times.

jscarrlay 06-15-2012 05:02 AM

Today I picked up my sons 2003 Helix 90 from the shop. Prior to taking it in it did 30 MPH. I had them replace a 13 tooth sproket with a 16 tooth sprocket. I also had them add carbon fiber reeds and a "power up" clutch kit all both from Maximum RPM the performance side of Dinli. All of these things were done in an attempt to increase the top end of the machine. Upon test riding the unit it now has a top end of only 20 MPH. Why? Is it possible that they did something wrong? What should I do to get the 35 MPH I was looking for. I do not want to get rid of the oil injection or risk any decrease in reliability. Please help.

kliff 06-15-2012 07:10 AM

It is possible that the 16 tooth sprocket was too big of an increase. You may now be lugging the engine, or over working it. Go back to the original 13t sprocket and see how it performs. If it is slower than it was originally, then something may be wrong. If it is as fast as it was before, then all is well. If it picked up any speed, all the better.
But the simple addition of CF reeds, will seldom make enough of a difference to been seen on a speedometer. For a 5 MPH increase on a 90cc buggy, you will probably need about a 30-40% increase in HP, to carry a larger sprocket, for that amount of speed.
An engine transplant, might be more cost efficient. Otherwise, I'd start looking for a bigger carb, ported cylinder, forged piston, expansion chamber, higher compression, better ignition unit....yadayadayada... speed costs.