BuggyMasters.Com - An On Line Mini Buggy Forum and Go Kart Forum

BuggyMasters.Com - An On Line Mini Buggy Forum and Go Kart Forum (http://www.buggymasters.com/forum/index.php)
-   150cc GY6 and Under Engine Tech (http://www.buggymasters.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=29)
-   -   Modifying CVT belt cover (http://www.buggymasters.com/forum/showthread.php?t=5895)

toomanytoys2 08-08-2016 06:28 AM

Modifying CVT belt cover

Yesterday my son and his buddy took the HH to a nearby field and stretched its legs. I was sitting in my Baja on a nearby hill to keep an eye on them. All of a sudden, they stopped, got out and looked at the engine. So I drove down to them to investigate. Turns out they didn't have any drive in forward or reverse. I always carry a tow rope, so I towed them home. 1st thought was CVT belt, so I grabbed a flashlight and looked in a vent hole - sure enough, belt cords. I drive this buggy fairly long distances in the SoCal desert, so I looked at what would be the minimum tools needed to swap the belt in the field. I decided that it would be a royal pain in the rear.

So I came up with an Idea, What if I pull the cover off, and use a metal bandsaw to cut the cover into two pieces. Where I would cut it would be vertically through the hole that was originally for the kick starter. Then I would have a front and rear halves, and wouldn't have to worry about pulling the exhaust off . We never go through water, and there would only be a small slit between the two pieces. Does anyone see a problem with this?

Thanks

OLDKID 08-08-2016 09:34 AM

I only ever had the cover off of my first one a few years ago and can't remember how much meat it had , heavy , or flimsy . My concern would be how much reinforcement does it add to the rear arm of the case itself ? Couldn't you do an exhaust mod. to accomplish the same thing , two piece header pipe , slip joint , springs , etc. Like a bike exhaust . :swordfight:

toomanytoys2 08-08-2016 01:12 PM

My exhaust is already like that. However, for support the muffler has a strap that goes to the kick start shaft. In the field, don't really want to wait for the exhaust to cool down, before I can work. Especially if the ride is right before dark.

ckau 08-08-2016 08:11 PM

I have consider doing this. one of those "round to it" projects. for the same reason as yourself , making access easier. I know a scooter builder who does some pretty radical stuff. he removes the cover completely, uses a polished aluminum plate held off with spacers to act as a guard. there seems to be no effects as far as bracing or strength to the motor case. Basically the cover simply serves as protection from the elements and a guard to keep fingers and toes out. IMo there's no problem making a two piece unit.

SYCARMS 08-31-2016 12:51 PM

The only problem I see with cutting it is it wouls not have a tight enough seal for air o circulate cooling the cvt.

scjeep4.7HO 09-02-2016 09:24 PM

You could get a thin piece of rubber to fill the cut line, trim it and glue it to the side that would be staying bolted on most of the time.

fan4chevy 09-10-2016 04:19 PM

Maybe for the center area you can get a T gasket of some sort. T rubber. Maybe a modified seal from a door bottom seal. Just a thought.