BuggyMasters.Com - An On Line Mini Buggy Forum and Go Kart Forum

BuggyMasters.Com - An On Line Mini Buggy Forum and Go Kart Forum (http://www.buggymasters.com/forum/index.php)
-   Go Kart Engine and Torque Converter Tech (http://www.buggymasters.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=32)
-   -   Need a smaller sprocket/ less torque. (http://www.buggymasters.com/forum/showthread.php?t=5747)

ModdedMotor212 04-07-2016 08:36 PM

Kart is too torquey.Smaller sprocket question.

So i have a 1 wheel drive kart with a Torque Converter ratio of 4.8:1.

Problem is it LOVES to spin the tires and lay rubber for 2 seconds before it even starts to move and afterward it keeps on spinning. Now as awesome as i thought this would be, i'd never thought i'd say this, but it has much more torque than i desired.

**? Question- How much of a torque decrease i would have if i change from a 10 tooth driver to a 12 tooth driver? mainly needing to know if it would spin too much . i love the spin but not to the point i can't move anywhere.

i would use a 14 tooth but i cant find any for a #41 chain. and cant find a smaller driven sprocket than 48 with a bolt hole circle of 2-7/8'' for a #41.

ModdedMotor212 04-08-2016 06:07 PM

i really didnt expect anyone to know this since the majority of people are off roaders and the search feature yielded no results i've been looking for.

-----
Need for speed, babeh!

ckau 04-08-2016 07:39 PM

If it were me , the first thing would be to use a live axle. Distributing the power to both rear wheels means less spin and more pull. It's simple enough to drill any sprocket with a lower tooth count to fit a 2-7/8 bolt pattern

ModdedMotor212 04-08-2016 08:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ckau (Post 49531)
If it were me , the first thing would be to use a live axle. Distributing the power to both rear wheels means less spin and more pull. It's simple enough to drill any sprocket with a lower tooth count to fit a 2-7/8 bolt pattern

i forgot to add a vital piece of information.. my budget is very limited so i'm restricted to a dead axle but you do have a very valid point of drilling my own holes in a sprocket.

ModdedMotor212 04-23-2016 01:41 AM

So i now have a 4:1 ratio.
It still spins and i just found a site with the same specs as a TAV sprocket.
i STILL need to know what is the highest ratio i can go?

i'm thinking about trying a 16 tooth driver sprocket now to get a ratio of 3:1
is that too much or does anyone know otherwise?

ModdedMotor212 06-23-2016 10:31 PM

update:
So it has been exactly 2 months and i just ordered a 36 tooth sprocket for my axle .
that would give me a 3:1 gear ratio for my really lightweight kart. With 4:1 ratio AND my newly aquired .290 cam @ 104LSA this tire REALLY loves to spin before it gets traction now. SO.. that being said, new gear ratio it is. and also will be purchasing a live axle kit. :biggthumpup:

Zonia 10-17-2018 02:34 AM

Distributing the power to both rear wheels means less spin and more pull

x-bird 10-17-2018 05:57 AM

Picking a ratio that suits your setup is largely down to what you're doing, experimenting. might want to look into martin sprockets for taper lock or split bushing sprockets to give you a better selection. on the flip side of the live axle, you will have more understeer in turns.