BuggyMasters.Com - An On Line Mini Buggy Forum and Go Kart Forum

BuggyMasters.Com - An On Line Mini Buggy Forum and Go Kart Forum (http://www.buggymasters.com/forum/index.php)
-   150cc GY6 and Under Engine Tech (http://www.buggymasters.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=29)
-   -   Exhaust problem? (http://www.buggymasters.com/forum/showthread.php?t=626)

joshstep1 03-11-2010 12:26 PM

Exhaust problem?

So, I was running the buggy yesterday and when I took my ear protectors off, I noticed that the buggy was exceptionally quiet. It was very quiet, much quieter than normal. I put my hand over the exhaust and not much air was coming out of it. I think there may be a hole or leak in the exhaust system. Does anyone have any ideas what's going on.

PAbuggy 03-11-2010 01:03 PM

when you removed your spark arrester did you put the bolts back in the exhaust.If not there is a retainer ring in there that will work loss and block exhaust flow. You will need to cut off the end of the pipe gut it and reweld it. Take the pipe off and shake it listen for a rattle. If there is no rattle your pipe should be ok then you sould do a valve adjustment exhaust valve may not be opening as it should. hope this helps

joshstep1 03-11-2010 03:04 PM

Well, if that wouldn't be the problem. Yes, I put the screws back in, but I looked in the exhaust and there was a plate of some kind. I was able to push that plate back and the thing sounded amazing again. Now that thing is just sitting in there rattling. What do I have to do now?

PAbuggy 03-11-2010 03:26 PM

you will have to cut the end cap off the exhaust remove the ring and then weld the end cap back on. This is not hard to do as long as you or a friend has a welder your exhaust will be gutted and a rejet may need to be done.

joshstep1 03-11-2010 03:27 PM

Ugh to the rejet, but can the ring be put back in a certain place?

PAbuggy 03-11-2010 03:35 PM

you may be able to get the bolts back in it but i'm not sure i've never tried before.let me know how it turns out also with the ring in place you should have more back pressure and could also need a rejet.

joshstep1 03-11-2010 03:37 PM

(sigh) alrighty then...

olderthan 03-11-2010 10:23 PM

cut your muffler at back seam
pull out plate or line it back up at put bolts back into it
then reweld the muffler
olderthan

joshstep1 03-12-2010 03:44 PM

I would but my granddad would rather me call the manufacture, deal with customer service, have someone come out to look at the thing, and wait forever for a replacement muffler to get here just so the manufacture's warranty will cover it instead of just taking it to a local auto shop and getting it done, so, I don't think it'll be running for a while.

PAbuggy 03-12-2010 04:37 PM

this problem was a direct result of you removing the spark arrestor and will not be covered under warranty. So if you are going to try to turn it in under warranty replace the arrestor and do not tell them you removed it i hope they help you keep use posted

joshstep1 03-12-2010 07:39 PM

Will do, but what would happen if the plate were just taken out completely?

olderthan 03-12-2010 08:25 PM

you will be a little louder
i wish i had taken pictures when i gutted my stock
muffler- no packing inside-bunch of half tubes
looked like made from beer cans
grabbed with pliers a little twist and pulled right out
i still have that exhaust and run it sometimes
olderthan

joshstep1 03-12-2010 08:26 PM

Is there a performance difference?

olderthan 03-12-2010 08:43 PM

yes some
you are running a 130 jet so likely will not have to rejet
i have never seen inside a carbide muffler
once the beer can tin was removed there were 3 tubes under at
the engine side of muffler so it did not seem to hurt on back pressure
olderthan

ckau 03-13-2010 10:52 AM

, I doubt warranty will honor this because you removed the spark arrester, which they will be able to tell, I would simply for the ease, replace the muffler with a new one or substitute for a aftermarket. Trying to repair that one can be more trouble than it is worth unless you have the skills and resources to tackle this job.

BuggyMaster 03-13-2010 10:41 PM

I'd go aftermarket. good time to do it.

joshstep1 03-13-2010 10:43 PM

Yeah, I know, but I'm saving to get a professional camera and I doubt my parentw would let me buy an aftermarket exhaust.