BuggyMasters.Com - An On Line Mini Buggy Forum and Go Kart Forum

BuggyMasters.Com - An On Line Mini Buggy Forum and Go Kart Forum (http://www.buggymasters.com/forum/index.php)
-   FrankenBuggy Tech (http://www.buggymasters.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   a different type of buggy! (http://www.buggymasters.com/forum/showthread.php?t=815)

metalstudman1 05-15-2010 11:57 PM

a different type of buggy!

4 Attachment(s)
I modify and build all kinds of karts. This probably won't appeal to the mass crowd of this forum. Buggymaster-sad to hear that the sidewinder has been put out to pasture as I'd loved to see what a track time it would have had. I asked myself long ago what do I want from a kart/buggy? I want to drive like I can't on the street (without getting a ticket),jump,drift or get the backend loose without flipping,climb whatever is in front of me,hit the mud hole and not stress the mess and be a kid again! Power and speed is a factor but when it comes down to it you really can't do more than 60 mph and still have control of a kart/buggy on the trails. So big over horsepowered karts/buggies don't factor into my builds anymore. Let me know what you think.

kliff 05-16-2010 05:37 AM

Sweeeeet...what's the engine?

chuckorlando 05-16-2010 07:45 AM

Looks good. How much travel you getting. cc size? You dont have any balance issues with the motor on one side

BuggyMaster 05-16-2010 12:07 PM

Very nicely done! What's the powerplant?

metalstudman1 05-16-2010 12:26 PM

It's a Honda 200cc, 5speed semi-auto w/reverse. The balance is great. Currently I get 4-1/2" of travel as thats all the shocks will travel but is capable of 6"+ at the rear and only 5" at the front.

metalstudman1 05-16-2010 12:46 PM

2 Attachment(s)
here's pics of when I was building it for clearances at the rear.

chuckorlando 05-16-2010 04:17 PM

Brother that way more than 5in. Your measuring axle to frame. I'm talking droop to lock. I like the long chain to allow articulation. Like the older trophy carts.

Do you have the axle mounted via 2 independent arms with heims?

metalstudman1 05-16-2010 07:47 PM

The pics show 6 1/2" at the frame but that puts the tire flush with the bottom of the frame, vertical travel is the full 4 1/2" right now.Yes ,it has 2 struts with heims. My favorite part of this set up is few moving parts.No bearing holders on a swingarm to bend or break.This kart was an out-of-date mini sprint that was wrecked. I did a bunch of frame work to allow for suspension travel,relocated the steering supportsand gave it a true Ackerman alignment. Also the front axle is solid with 4 struts with heims-so no ball joints/A-arms to fail and in 5" of vertical travel there is very little toe-in or out.I've come down on one tire nose first out of a jump and had perfect control(of the kart but not my bodily functions)and nothing bent!!!

kliff 05-17-2010 04:21 AM

Mini sprint...OK, I was gonna chipe i as a late model TQ or something along those lines....I LIKE it.

metalstudman1 05-17-2010 01:17 PM

3 Attachment(s)
here's a video of me testing the kart after the suspension mod's and before I painted it-and testing the banked turns on our backyard track that leads into 65 acres of trails.The motor is original 86 honda, just to give you an idea of how JUST an old 200cc motor works in a 550lbs kart

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BjXkSr9JvRo

this is another shot of one of our jumps

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vlp0DY1CZvQ

metalstudman1 05-19-2010 09:02 PM

6 Attachment(s)
After cruising our trails at night I realized I needed a top-So here's what that turned out like, also didn't have a place for the phone/bottled water so I put in a glove box/storage compartment.

Rarerat 05-19-2010 09:07 PM

I like it. :)

kliff 05-20-2010 04:21 AM

Is that made out of the "Racer Plastic" sheets, like that sold by SpeedWay for body panels?

Did you use heat for the roof contours aound the bars?

Sweeeeet job.

metalstudman1 05-20-2010 01:21 PM

I'm not sure if this is the same as Racers plastic. I got this from an ABS plant that threw them out. Most sheets are 6' x 3' and have wrinkles and a bumpy surface. Yes, I heat up and bend it. I know it's alot more impact resistant than aluminum and just as light. It was FREE and well worth my time to load it up!! The roof panel and the bottom skid panels are 5/16" thick, the body is 1/8" material. I'll have to check and see if the properties of this plastic is the same as the stuff you get from Speedway.

metalstudman1 06-12-2010 02:42 PM

The racers plastic you have is most likely to be Polypropylene and is an excellent material for body skins.I found out it has a much lower melting point than ABS but is recommended over ABS for your application. Since the plastic I used was free I didn't care one way or the other! Either way it keeps the serious mud off me and the limbs from beating me up in the trails.

metalstudman1 06-12-2010 09:03 PM

2 Attachment(s)
If it doesn't break you're not driving hard enough!!! - I broke a $150. Carrera shock jumping for distance! All the work I did to allow for max travel/dampening and clearances didn't have what it takes for the abuse I can put it too. I was jumping just a 4' jump to see how far I could go. I got just under 27'. I pound this kart to death everytime I'm in it. For the crowd that cares this kart out performs anything I've ever been in and the 4-wheeler riders here thru the rough trails and jumps we have.

BuggyMaster 06-12-2010 10:36 PM

man that is awesome. Do you have gears / shifting setup? I didn't hear you rowing through them.

metalstudman1 06-12-2010 11:25 PM

2 Attachment(s)
This a trx 200cc 4-wheeler motor with a 5 speed semi-auto trans with reverse. I have a shifter handle inside on my left and the reverse handle (made from an old harley brake lever on the right. I usually stay in 3rd gear as it will pull from a stand still and get up to 38 mph-quick!!!

kliff 08-11-2010 05:04 AM

Hey MSM, we bboth commented on that 250R possible build.... a mini sprint frame would be perfect for that engine, it'd even convert to hand starting from the drivers seat easier than most....
Your frame, his engine...WOW!

metalstudman1 08-11-2010 02:25 PM

The main reason I pulled my RM250 2-stroke was because of the kick starter and no reverse.If the cockpit was larger -kick starting it wouldn't be so bad.Kliff I'm guessing you have an idea about how to make a hand starter linkage system? I have 2 600cc engines I can/could've put in it but No reverse. I loved the power the 2-stroke had but us old farts like convience!!!!

metalstudman1 08-21-2010 11:15 PM

I finally added well needed rack-n-pinion (canabalized from one of our other karts)and found some softer coil overs. Here's a vid of it's test run to see what adjustments still need to be made. By the way this is the same original $50. 1986 trx200sx 4 stroke!!!!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AbwI7Og1nMo

kliff 08-22-2010 08:01 AM

Man, I just gotta have more input on those mini sprint frames.... dimensions, component suppliers, plans, anything!

PLEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEZE

metalstudman1 08-22-2010 01:57 PM

I bought mine from craig's list 2 yrs ago for $1,150. - I raced full size sprints back in the late 70's early 80's so it appealed to me- After selling off some of the race parts I didn't need and adding what I did want my investment is currently $900. CHEAP FUN
This style frame will handle a 600cc engine. With the 600cc motor on it it's a dragster/tire burner! I'll draw you up a schematic of the chassis as I'm not aware of where to buy plans.This kart is SMALL - wheel base is 58-1/2", frame width is
22",outside rear tire width is 58", 47" tall, bumper to bumper is only 92".That should give you an idea of it's size.

metalstudman1 08-23-2010 07:20 PM

4 Attachment(s)
Here's pic's of the rack-n-pinion. Normally a plate on the backside would be plenty for support. I made a box type bracket so it can't twist it's way to failure. I know the forces placed on the wheels thru our trails.I know there be plenty of you that won't approve of a PVC gas tank.I checked into PVC and gasoline as a solvent testing many years ago to find that the gas DOESN'T melt or expand PVC. I've made many over the years and NEVER had an issue, this is a 2.3 gal , it's 6" schedule 35 (thinwall), cost $ 22.00 total.

metalstudman1 04-30-2011 08:47 PM

:doh:Working out of town and bored to tears after hours so I brought my kart down to play on. Since it's such a large site with open space and a sand pile I figured I'd try it out also trying out my phone's video capablities. Next week I'm going for a lot more air and an improved video.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dmfGJ...layer_embedded

Snoopy 05-02-2011 10:01 PM

Nice ride! Glad to see you like getting the most out of it.

metalstudman1 05-06-2011 10:38 PM

This was the next time I could get one of the guys to video me trying to jump
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CegJN_v0kL4
and a little better http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p9NCkg5GKIQ
I finally got a new motor today:hooaray:No more smoking like a freight train!
I can't wait to try some more jumps with full power

metalstudman1 05-13-2011 09:15 AM

5 Attachment(s)
Here's some still shots of it in action-Excuse the expression on the drivers face!:drive:

Bootboy1488 05-14-2011 09:33 PM

Im a fan. This buggy is sweet, metalstudman1 brought his buggy out to Fayetteville and we had a good time! He has an extraordinary amount of man knowledge. If I could trade half of mine on guns with his, I wouldn't feel mildly retarded when brainstorming about mine. Glad to have met him and his cockpit type buggy

metalstudman1 05-14-2011 10:23 PM

I believe you got it backwards- I'm one of MANY fans of yours and our dedicated soldiers who give it their all to keep us safe. I hold you and your other brothers of the Armed Forces in high respect. Thanks for the compliments- and it was GOOD times!!!More to come

Bootboy1488 05-14-2011 11:34 PM

The support is awesome! Now all you need on that thing is a wind shield and wipers

Snoopy 05-16-2011 11:19 PM

Ya know, I gotta comment on your opening paragraph for this thread. You absolutely nailed why we build these things. Glad to see that same kid kind of glow in someone else's eye. Thanks for sharin this thread. Snoopy

metalstudman1 05-17-2011 06:36 AM

Wow!!! You're the 2nd person to read this thread:lmao:As a kid we're limited by our imagination, as an adult we're limited by our wallets!Thanx

SYCARMS 05-17-2011 10:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by metalstudman1 (Post 14442)
Wow!!! You're the 2nd person to read this thread:lmao:As a kid we're limited by our imagination, as an adult we're limited by our wallets!Thanx

Isn't that the truth. Nice professional job.
TOM

metalstudman1 05-19-2011 07:36 AM

1 Attachment(s)
You'd think as a grown man I'd know when to say WHEN!!! :banghead: Too much speed, too much air, not enough self restraint get's you broke down!:crying: This is the birdcage (bearing carrier) after it exploded from an over zealous jump trying out the new motor!!! Got it fixed and we'll try it again.

good649 05-19-2011 09:09 AM

ouch, you might have to change a few more things, mini sprints are not meant for big air, but it looked like fun. If you don't break something your not trying hard enough or having fun.

metalstudman1 05-19-2011 09:52 AM

You're right!!! Mini-sprints weren't meant for ANY air!!! You're not far off from seeing how yours will perform. I did do lots of mod's/reconfigurations to the chassis and suspension to get it where it's at now. As always it's a work in progress, trying to balance my expectations with the right set-up and components. So far I have 9"+ of travel @ each wheel and using every inch of it!

good649 05-19-2011 03:06 PM

right on, glad to see you take it work, makes the day go faster with some riding involved.

Lxtlover11 06-01-2011 06:34 PM

Wow man awesome job on this cart! Simple, old school and practical it's amazing I have a carbide 150 but I really wanna make a sick cart like this some day!

linemaster 10-27-2011 06:04 PM

Hi metalstudman1 i am lineman i was reading about a set of plans for a 600
cc engine and was woundering if you would please email me a set i am in the process of building me one it is ether to big or to small cant seem to get it right email at tiatia@isp.com

metalstudman1 10-27-2011 10:15 PM

I don't have any plans nor do I know where you could get any- the guys that build these keep the designs well guarded!!!! What's too big or too small? the chassis?

linemaster 10-28-2011 04:14 PM

Chassis is to long then its to narrow then nothing fits right so this one is on hold for now my12year old daughter and i are gonna build a single seat racer 1200cc yamaha live axel rack&pinion stering 6inches ground clearance 5point harness ect ect my daughter loves to race dirt mud circle flat drag and she is good at it too

metalstudman1 10-28-2011 04:47 PM

Are these issues from a set of plans?

linemaster 10-29-2011 01:55 PM

No mine and my daughters disign

chrisohio1976 11-10-2012 07:07 PM

man thats one sweet buggy i would love to build one!! good job