BuggyMasters.Com - An On Line Mini Buggy Forum and Go Kart Forum

BuggyMasters.Com - An On Line Mini Buggy Forum and Go Kart Forum (http://www.buggymasters.com/forum/index.php)
-   FrankenBuggy Tech (http://www.buggymasters.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   What do you think about using a Baja Reaction 150 as a Frankenbuggy (http://www.buggymasters.com/forum/showthread.php?t=4269)

toomanytoys2 05-22-2013 12:15 AM

What do you think about using a Baja Reaction 150 as a Frankenbuggy

I can get a pretty clean Baja Reaction 150 for $400. The only downside is that it smokes. However, i'm not to concerned about the engine, because I have an atc 200 engine waiting for a new home. Any concerns, problem areas to watch out for?

x-bird 05-22-2013 05:26 AM

I have one; (the wife's) Not too bad of a base to work with. Front end lower a-arms could be pulled out from where they mount inside of the cage for a long arm/long travel setup. Primary roll protection should be beefed up and welded in place. the one i had was rolled, the side bolt-in vertical bar is bent back. out back it's the typical swingarm, very similar to the spiderbox design and prone to the same issues of bending down around the tensioner and cracking in about the same places. The seats/harnesses just plain bite--typical sloppy junk harnesses and thinly padded seats.

toomanytoys2 05-22-2013 01:54 PM

Have you seen or have a link to anyone that has done the front end upgrade?

x-bird 05-23-2013 09:46 PM

there may be one or two that were modded on buggynews. first thing i thought about doing when i looked at it (even before i bought it). Just bothers me when they stick a-arms way inboard or deep in on the underside of the floorpan where there will be interference preventing a pretty simple shock and rack adjustment to extend the droop for greater travel and clearance.

toomanytoys2 05-23-2013 10:05 PM

I haven't pulled the trigger yet, but the frame in between the a arms is a stroke of engineering genius:laugh2:, or just maybe someone having a stroke. I believe that I have some ideas for a work around, but if I start the build I will share all info.

G-ray 05-29-2013 10:28 AM

I have a Reaction with an Arctic Cat 454 quad engine in it. The frame is plenty strong but the front suspension is lacking.

toomanytoys2 05-29-2013 02:31 PM

I decided not to pull the trigger on the reaction. Just too many small issues that could add up to big $. Its hard not letting your emotions rule your buying tendencies, but I was able to walk away from a good deal and continue the search for a great deal. A Baja Dune just pop upped on CL and I hope to take a look at it today. It looks like the Dune has better front suspension then the Reaction.

x-bird 05-29-2013 06:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by toomanytoys2 (Post 33766)
I decided not to pull the trigger on the reaction. Just too many small issues that could add up to big $. Its hard not letting your emotions rule your buying tendencies, but I was able to walk away from a good deal and continue the search for a great deal. A Baja Dune just pop upped on CL and I hope to take a look at it today. It looks like the Dune has better front suspension then the Reaction.

Much better buggy imho. i missed out on one and ended up with the reaction for the wife.

toomanytoys2 05-29-2013 11:03 PM

Well I missed out on the dune. I was the second caller on it and the seller said that he had someone coming to look at it and he would call me back. By the time I got the trailer hooked up, the phone rang and :mad::mad::mad:

So now I am back looking again

bear 05-30-2013 06:36 PM

Just be patient, it took me 9 months, but well worth it!!!

toomanytoys2 05-31-2013 01:33 AM

The :booty: that bought the dune, just washed it and turned around and put it on CL for $1000. I could tell it was the same one by the stickers. :suspect:

bear 06-02-2013 07:40 AM

I hear ya, there are always sharks in the water!