BuggyMasters.Com - An On Line Mini Buggy Forum and Go Kart Forum

BuggyMasters.Com - An On Line Mini Buggy Forum and Go Kart Forum (http://www.buggymasters.com/forum/index.php)
-   Other tech issues (http://www.buggymasters.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=53)
-   -   bending metal (http://www.buggymasters.com/forum/showthread.php?t=2503)

locohead 12-31-2011 10:50 PM

bending metal

Hi all,

The kids wrecked a couple times and bent the tie-rod thing-a-ma-whooper. Can this metal just be put in a bench vise and squeezed flat again or should I heat it before bending?

Thanks for your answers and advise!

Bootboy1488 12-31-2011 11:40 PM

which buggy do you have?

x-bird 01-01-2012 11:18 AM

he's got a manco 2-seater which likely has the basic 5/8 id spindle tube with the flat 1/4-in steel stock steering arm welded to it. if it's an under the frame steer linkage, i think these are nothing more than a piece of straight flat stock. if it's over the frame, it likely has a gusset and a couple bends to bring the mounting stud up. Either way, heating before bending will help. If the kids are running over a lot of rough stuff, these will continue to bend and get weaker and weaker. Not a bad idea to pick up a couple of spares on e-bay.

locohead 01-01-2012 01:33 PM

Great idea. Yeah the kids have been riding on snow and dirt with lots of uneven terrain. The previous owners must of been rough too, like X-bird suggests; it has missing teeth on both sprockets. I think you are right on your description of the steering linkage - not really a tie-rod at all just flat metal with an "a-shaped" curve in it.

I tried posting pictures from my phone but couldn't. My options are 1. Upload from a URL, and I can but a hassle from my phone. 2. Upload a file from my computer - but when I click this option the button highlights green color but nothing happens. I suspect the mobile phone is not recognized as a computer? Who knows? When its a critical thing i'll use a computer or Photobucketify the picture and URLizeify it!

metalstudman1 01-01-2012 03:51 PM

Heating up a heat treated part isn't usually good, as most of the steering arms are treated from the factory. I'd cold bend them back into shape- bending by using a longer piece of pipe over the arm or squeezing in a vise is better than beating them back into submission!!

locohead 01-03-2012 12:15 AM

Thank you metals, I will cold bend it in a vise. The kids crashed into the side of our uncle's semi. The roll cage got bent too. Shall I cold bend that also?

metalstudman1 01-03-2012 12:21 AM

Roll cage is mild cold-rolled steel- you can use whatever means available for it!!!! Hot or cold

satoys 01-03-2012 07:05 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I've replaced all my yerf tie-rods with these from BMI, seems to be a lot stronger.
I also replaced my Manco Havoc front spindles with yerf 3202 spindles. The Manco ones kept bending just driving on dirt. The yerf ones are much thicker.