BuggyMasters.Com - An On Line Mini Buggy Forum and Go Kart Forum

BuggyMasters.Com - An On Line Mini Buggy Forum and Go Kart Forum (http://www.buggymasters.com/forum/index.php)
-   150cc GY6 and Under Engine Tech (http://www.buggymasters.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=29)
-   -   howhit gy6 carburetor issues? (http://www.buggymasters.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1166)

Beefcake 09-17-2010 06:12 PM

howhit gy6 carburetor issues?

My howhit gy6 150cc starts and idles fine and runs great up to 1/4 throttle but when I give it more gas it sputters and sometimes dies out. I'll try to make another video of what its doing. I'm thinking of just buying a whole different carburetor since a new float valve, diaphragm and electric choke hasn't fixed the problem. Anyone tried any of the ebay 24mm carburetors? I've seen them for like $30 on there and up to $60 for performance ones.

olderthan 09-17-2010 08:12 PM

the carbs on ebay are basicly the same as the one you have-but are usualy for scooters
and are jetted for scooters -too small of jets often

Beefcake 09-17-2010 10:58 PM

I tried a carb from another buggy but it was used. It had all the same stuff and dimensions so I took the jets out of the stock carb and put it in and it ran great for about 200 yards and then quit running Only difference was that it had a air/fuel screw. So I put the stock carburetor in with the elec choke, diaphram from the other one and that is where I am now.

olderthan 09-17-2010 11:07 PM

check your gas cap-the vent may be plugged.if you are running clear line you should be
able to see the gas

EJ Mac 09-18-2010 12:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Beefcake (Post 10202)
My howhit gy6 150cc starts and idles fine and runs great up to 1/4 throttle but when I give it more gas it sputters and sometimes dies out. I'll try to make another video of what its doing. I'm thinking of just buying a whole different carburetor since a new float valve, diaphragm and electric choke hasn't fixed the problem. Anyone tried any of the ebay 24mm carburetors? I've seen them for like $30 on there and up to $60 for performance ones.

Yep I have used those cheapies on 3 occasions as I have never had any luck resurrecting one of those carbs when they are doing what you are describing. I guess I'm lazy but my time is worth more than $30. Just be sure and rejet it properly.

Beefcake 09-24-2010 12:45 AM

the gas cap doesn't have a vent. When I take the fuel line off and turn the fuel on it flows great. Could it be the float valve not opening enough?

olderthan 09-24-2010 10:12 AM

all gas caps have vents-and yes the float might not be opening enough or have trash in it

Beefcake 09-24-2010 02:27 PM

float bowl and jets are clean as can be, I'm guessing since it idles fine and bogs out at full throttle the float isn't raising high enough or something is restricting it. Or, there is something going on with the float valve its self.