BuggyMasters.Com - An On Line Mini Buggy Forum and Go Kart Forum

BuggyMasters.Com - An On Line Mini Buggy Forum and Go Kart Forum (http://www.buggymasters.com/forum/index.php)
-   150cc GY6 and Under Engine Tech (http://www.buggymasters.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=29)
-   -   carbide starter removal instructions please (http://www.buggymasters.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1299)

tybic 11-22-2010 06:40 PM

carbide starter removal instructions please

Can someone send me this instructions on how to remove a starter from a 150cc carbide?
I have it unbolted but I can not remove due to it hitting the frame?

BuggyMaster 11-23-2010 06:23 PM

you have to loosen up the chain adjuster to where there is a ton of slack in the chain. Doing so will drop the engine down enough to where you can turn and wiggle the starter out. It's a bit tricky but it will come out.

SYCARMS 11-24-2010 09:15 AM

As he says.

Tom

tybic 11-24-2010 08:34 PM

thanks guys

melotel 11-29-2016 08:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BuggyMaster (Post 11169)
you have to loosen up the chain adjuster to where there is a ton of slack in the chain. Doing so will drop the engine down enough to where you can turn and wiggle the starter out. It's a bit tricky but it will come out.

Hey BuggyMaster.. I am facing the problem of replacing my Carbide 150cc starter. I got it loose, I just can't figure out how to heck to get it out. I appreciate your recomendations, but I don't quite follow. I looked at the machine and don't find how to losen the chain adjuster on the buddy. Also, i am not seeing how it would allow me to get it out of the cramped space it is in. It sort of seems like it is encased with the frame of the buddy.

Would you be kind enough to shed a little more light on the suggestion? Much appreciated!!! :hail:

melotel 11-29-2016 08:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tybic (Post 11180)
thanks guys

Hey tybic, just wondering if you had any luck with this project? :cheers:

BuggyMaster 11-30-2016 10:56 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Look at the attached picture. The finger is pointing to the adjuster. As you loosen it you will notice that the engine is dropping and it will drop enough for you to get the starter out.

melotel 11-30-2016 11:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BuggyMaster (Post 51480)
Look at the attached picture.

In hindsight I should have understood what you meant with your first description, :banghead: although the picture is very helpful. Thank-you!!! I literally looked everywhere and could not find instructions for this.

I might document the process for someone else in the future.

My kids can't wait to get this thing going again. :drive:

melotel 12-27-2016 11:48 AM

So... I was finally able to replace the starter. And it works!!! Problem is... it works just like before I replaced it.

The problem I am having: even when the key is not in the ignition the starter keeps turning over. I can obly make it stop by disconnecting the battery. Any suggestions?

Gy6buggy88 12-27-2016 08:18 PM

The starter motors wire connected to one of the 2 threaded terminals of the solenoid (looks like a cylinder with 2 posts on top). The post with no other wires connected to it is where this wir goes. The opposite post has a few wires connected to it, including one with a fuse on it and a heavy wire leading to the battery positive terminal.

If the starter is wired to the solenoid correctly then either the keyed ignition switch is wired wrong on the back, or its faulty itself.

melotel 12-27-2016 08:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gy6buggy88 (Post 51702)
If the starter is wired to the solenoid correctly then either the keyed ignition switch is wired wrong on the back, or its faulty itself.

I know exactly where you're talking about. The problem didn't exist up until recently and no wiring changes have taken place at all. When you say that it is probably the device itself that is faulty which device you talk about specifically the ignition switch or the solenoid?

Gy6buggy88 12-28-2016 08:20 PM

I was thinking the ignition key switch might be faulty.

melotel 12-28-2016 08:24 PM

I had tried to eliminate the ignition switch. Totally disconected it and it still wouldnt stop turning over. Not sure if that means it's not the ignition. I would assume that means it's not the switch. The solenoid is likely the problem. Anyone know best place to find thisnpart?

GX150 12-29-2016 06:01 PM

SycArms can get you a new starter solenoid.