BuggyMasters.Com - An On Line Mini Buggy Forum and Go Kart Forum

BuggyMasters.Com - An On Line Mini Buggy Forum and Go Kart Forum (http://www.buggymasters.com/forum/index.php)
-   Mini Buggy General Discussion (http://www.buggymasters.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   2007 jcl 250 (http://www.buggymasters.com/forum/showthread.php?t=6078)

Mewoods 02-11-2017 11:17 PM

2007 jcl 250

1 Attachment(s)
Hi everyone. I just recently bought this buggy and need some help identifying this piece I circled in red. It connects the drive shaft to the rear end. Thanks for any information.

tkeagle 02-12-2017 07:41 AM

looks like some sort of gearing box. maybe changing the gear ratio?

OLDKID 02-12-2017 08:18 AM

Never seen that , looks to be like a semi flexible coupler like you see in industrial applications in place of a U-joint or CV . SYCARMS , or JERSEYDEVIL are probably familiar with it . :cheers:

liduno 02-12-2017 08:22 AM

looks like a damper.

Mewoods 02-12-2017 11:26 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Thanks guys for the comments. I can't find any information about what it is. It looks to have some type of material meshed between it. The material looks to be dryrotted and will need to be replaced. I've attached a better picture of it, and a picture of the buggy. Should have it running again next weekend.

SYCARMS 02-12-2017 01:13 PM

I cannot by your pic determine where this is located in relation to the buggy. Any 250 I have seen uses a gear box for reverse which drives the rear wheels either by chain or directly using cv axles. Maybe a pic of the entire rear set up will help.

liduno 02-12-2017 01:34 PM

It reminds me of a cush drive on a sport bike. It dampens with rubber between the cogs.

Mewoods 02-12-2017 02:52 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Here's a better picture. Thanks for the help.

ckau 02-12-2017 02:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by liduno (Post 52151)
It reminds me of a cush drive on a sport bike. It dampens with rubber between the cogs.

It's definitely a cushion dampener/connector to absorb the torque of a output shaft. Maybe connecting the output shaft of the motor to the FNR box. There's supposed to be a rubber star shaped disc that sits between the two halves. Looks like the rubber is gone

Mewoods 02-12-2017 03:14 PM

Yes.. the rubber has deteriorated. I'm trying to find out what this piece is called so I can buy one.

SYCARMS 02-12-2017 03:22 PM

Try to google a parts manual for that buggy.

Mewoods 02-12-2017 04:12 PM

I've spent hours googling this thing. I have nothing. :banghead:

EVILWS6 02-12-2017 04:17 PM

Looks like a Yamabuggy

SYCARMS 02-12-2017 04:48 PM

Go here there is a phone # you can call to see if they still have the parts. http://www.jclusa.com/parts-order.php

tkeagle 02-13-2017 08:48 AM

So the engine puts out that much power that this is needed? Just curios.

ckau 02-13-2017 08:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tkeagle (Post 52161)
So the engine puts out that much power that this is needed? Just curios.

No not really, it's to prevent the crank shaft from snapping in a over torque situation. It allows a little cushion to lessen the sudden power transfer. It also serves as a vibration isolator, Motor vibration through a solid shaft would shake a gear box to death. It also creates a flexible joint where the motor can flex and rock while the gear box is bolted solid. These connectors are commonly used when connecting a fluid transfer pump or a stand alone transmission to a motor.

Mewoods 02-13-2017 09:35 PM

So, I tried to call JCLUSA today. They are no longer in business is guess. The number listed on the website is no a survey for something else. Not sure where to go to find this piece now. The motor is basically a Yamaha Big Bear motor. The differential looks to be from an ATV as well. The coupling piece is a mystery. I should have it running this weekend, just won't be able to ride it until I find that piece. That's the problem with Chinese parts.

Mewoods 02-27-2017 07:53 PM

Ok.. update and additional questions.
Still haven't found the shaft coupler. Hopefully I can find one soon. I put a new piston and rings in and it runs great. Drove it around the yard and it shifts out good. I removed the oil dip stick while it was running and it blew oil everywhere. A lot of air coming out of the oil check hole. Is this normal? If not, what do I need to check? Next, I need a throttle cable. The one on it is to long. How do I measure for the correct cable? Thank you guys for your input.

SYCARMS 02-28-2017 10:54 AM

Yes that is normal. The oil is being slung by the crank shaft. The crank case will build some pressure, this is the reason for the vent vose coming off the valve cover.