BuggyMasters.Com - An On Line Mini Buggy Forum and Go Kart Forum

BuggyMasters.Com - An On Line Mini Buggy Forum and Go Kart Forum (http://www.buggymasters.com/forum/index.php)
-   Go Kart General Discussion (http://www.buggymasters.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=60)
-   -   Throttle problems with Murray Explorer (http://www.buggymasters.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1001)

kevandtishedwards 07-19-2010 12:36 AM

Throttle problems with Murray Explorer

I recently purchased a murray explorer with a 6 HP Tecumseh motor on it. I put a new carb on it and it is running fine but the throttle is stuck wide open. It appears to me that someone tried to fix it in the past and did not put it back on correctly. I want to know where I can get a pic of what it is supposed to look like or a diagram or somthing of that nature. Any help would be appreciated.

BuggyMaster 07-19-2010 10:15 AM

More than likely someone tried to bypass the governor system on it. If you can take a picture or two of what you have right now, we can advise you on how it is supposed to be. I don't have any Tecumseh engines here at the moment. Metalstudman1 might though.

metalstudman1 07-19-2010 01:10 PM

2 Attachment(s)
http://www.menintools.com/linkage.html here's pic's of govenor linkage
and here's pic's of the throttle to govenor arm from the kart the kid's are actually driving right now-sorry for the quality and all the dust/dirt!
hope this helps with that problem.
To add a kill switch I need to know if there is a kill switch already on the side of the motor. If there isn't you'll have to pull the side cover off the motor and attach a second wire from one of the coil leads to get it outside the cover and to a switch location of your choice.I can walk you thru the process if needed.
If you can post pic's like Buggymaster asked it would help us to see possible issues

kevandtishedwards 07-19-2010 07:13 PM

Thanks. I will post some pics of what is there. It seems to me there is something missing and I just hooked everything back up the way it was originally when I got it. I'll put some pics up soon.

kevandtishedwards 07-19-2010 07:17 PM

Thats pretty well what mine looks like minus the choke. What attaches to the lever that has the wire in it connected to the static governor? Is that lever supposed to move when you press on the gas? I am speakimg of the one opposite the choke that has the wire connected to the Carburator. Also my problem could be else where on the throttle. I am taking pics now and will post them within the hour.

kevandtishedwards 07-19-2010 07:53 PM

5 Attachment(s)
Here are some Photos of what I have. My main concern is the lever that is attached to the carburetor and controls the valve inside the carburetor. I feel like somthing is not right with it. I know the wore pin is not hooked up, I unhooked it last night but it was hooked up just like the photos of metalstudman's. I assume the valve inside the carburetor should be open when the engine is just sitting there? THat is how it was hooked up before. It is probobly below where the rest of the assembly ties together. Also if you will look at the pictures I have taken there is a screw hole that does not have anything in it. IS there something missing there? Thanks guys, Kevin.

metalstudman1 07-19-2010 09:41 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Look at the attachments, remove the spring end that's on your governor arm. Bend a piece of wire (welding rod works well, even an old coat hanger!)Throttle works left to right.Idle stop left- full throttle turned to the right.This linkage is usually put on while installing the carb. You rotate the carb to get the opposing bends in their slots.If the bends are the same direction it fall out during throttling.
Does this help?

metalstudman1 07-19-2010 09:48 PM

I forgot to tell you your kill swith connection is at the end of the green wire in your second pic.Looks like a you have a choice of a spade end connection or a bolt/nut connection, take the end of your wire to one side of the switch and the other lead to ground/frame.

kevandtishedwards 07-20-2010 07:41 PM

I already had it hooked up like that. The wire was not there so I used a paper clip temporary just to make sure it would crank. I think there is a problem in another area. Basically when you give the thing gas, the throttle cable moves (I'm talking about where it comes from the cable and attaches to the side of the motor in the pics I took below th go kart) and all that but the piece you are pointing to in your pic does not move at all. Let's start from here so I can try and help you understand what I mean. I had mine hooked up jusrt as you are referring to. Then I had my son give it some gas (Not cranked) and the spring (2nd pic I have posted) to the left of the empty screw hole stretches but should the governor arm Move at this point? Because it does not. Basically the way it is now the throttle plate will not move when you hit the gas peddle. I think something is hooked up wrong underneath the carb (see pics 2, 3, 4,5) in the3 other part of the linkage not right there at the throttle plate. Hope this makes sense. I have looked everywhere on the net for a pic of a similar linkage system. I see in your first pic how the throttle plate is hooked to the governor arm. Mine was hooked up the same way. I also see that the spring on the right in the pic seems to run down and hjook to the governor arm and mine does as well but everything to the right of the spring and the spring itself move but the governor arm does nothing. Thanks for your patience.

kevandtishedwards 07-20-2010 08:32 PM

Oh and as far as the kill switch goes, there is one on the motor itself and one underneath the steering wheel that operates off a key. I was just wondering what type pf key. I tried my John Deere lawn mower key as well as several other small keys I have but none worked. After cranking the go kart and it being stuck wide open I would deffinitly want the key so my kids would have a safety in case something like that were to happen. I was also wondering if the go kart should have any type of syste,m that engages the drive? When I crunk it it tried to take off and I have not seen anything of this type. The brakes are obviously not going to stop this thing with the throttle stuck wide open. It is a disk type system but it is not very heavy duty.

metalstudman1 07-20-2010 09:10 PM

I'm confused!!!! Did you post more pic's? The governor arm moves the throttle plate on the carb thru the linkage/wire I pointed to. It doesn't move till it's running!! Governor arm will be in open throttle position till it fires up, then the govenor goes to idle if you're not pushing the gas pedal.(reason the one spring has an elongated loop)You have nothing hooked up to open the butterfly on the carb in your previous pics. I can see in your pics you posted before that the throttle cable is where it's supposed to be and the govenor springs are correct.You just need the linkage/wire hooked to the carb plate. We'll get you going!!!!

metalstudman1 07-20-2010 09:21 PM

Sorry was posting when your last post came up-
First- disconnect the key switch and get a toggle switch-that eliminates the issue of a lost key in the future.label the switch on /off if it doesn't come with a on/off plate.Makes life simple for anyone driving to just flip the switch and it's dead.
Second- The clutch is designed to engage with full or near full throttle-usually about 2,000rpm+

kevandtishedwards 07-20-2010 10:28 PM

No I am just saying when I hooked it up as you are saying (i did all this before i ever asked the first question) with the throttle plate open before cranking the engine. Once I crunk the go cart the throttle is stuck wide open as in the go kart wants to take off and go as fast as it can. That is the problem I am having. If I put the piece of wire in the throttle plate like you are saying and just like it was when I removed the carb, when I crank the go kart it is trying to take off and it is wide ass open. Thats why I think there is a problem somewhere else. I don't think I can explain it much clearer than that. There has to be something thats not quite right with the way the rest is assembled. I feel pretty darn sure I have the throttle plate attached to the governor arm correctly when I had it hooked up. There has to be a problem with the linkage prior to where it attaches to the governor arm underneath the carb. Once I crank the engine it has some serious balls and if you do not kill it or have the back wheels off the ground it will drag you butt across the yard. When I have it hooked up the throttle plate is all the way to the left, and the only way it can turn then is back to the right and once it turns as far as it can there it hits the adjustment screw.

kevandtishedwards 07-20-2010 10:43 PM

I just noticed the link to the pics in your first post. That appears to be how mine is hooked up, but the governor arm seems to be at an angle compared to the one in the pic and also the wire connecting to it from the linkage is in slot one on mine and in slot 2 on the one in the pic. Do you think this would cause that problem or do you think bending one of these parts would affect it that much?

kevandtishedwards 07-20-2010 10:55 PM

Thats got to be what it is. I just went outside and took a look at it. Now that I know the linkage is right, the governor arm is deffinitley bent to the left quite a bit. Enough actually that it is not allowing the throttle plate to close once it is running. Sorry guy. I just knew for sure that I had it hooked up right when I started it for the first time. I will fix that tomorrow. IF I have any probs from there I will holler back. Thanks for the help. It is much appreciated.

metalstudman1 07-20-2010 11:08 PM

Yes this could be part of the problem-Let's try something! Take the spring to the governor and place it in hole #4, since you feel like the linkage between the governor arm and carb doesn't work-turn the carb plate to the right against the idle screw and tie it down with a spring so it can't move off the idle screw without intended pressure,jack up the kart if you need to to ensure it won't take off.(also unplug the keyed switch now you can just touch the two wires together to shut it down)Crank it up and see if it idles,watch the governor arm movement-turn the carb plate to the left to increase rpm's. Your springs to governor look perfect. It's possible someone tried to adjust the governo-governor arm (top part) should be to the right when idling.Let me know