BuggyMasters.Com - An On Line Mini Buggy Forum and Go Kart Forum

BuggyMasters.Com - An On Line Mini Buggy Forum and Go Kart Forum (http://www.buggymasters.com/forum/index.php)
-   Mini Buggy General Discussion (http://www.buggymasters.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   winch (http://www.buggymasters.com/forum/showthread.php?t=4260)

2SlickNick 05-20-2013 11:51 AM

winch

Think it might be time to put a winch on the kart. Maybe a little handcrank winch. Getting stuck sucks:bs2:

Carbide-Ohio 05-20-2013 12:56 PM

Just added one to mine for that very reason. Got stuck in some sticky mud and was there for 45 minutes before we got out!

2SlickNick 05-20-2013 01:58 PM

nice, yeah my belt got wet and I was stuck in mud at the bottom of a 50 degree incline about 6 feet below the top.
Do you like the Carbide? I want to get a 150cc and sell my lawn mower type engine. I see a lot of carbides for sale at a decent price. Also I like the style and look.

Carbide-Ohio 05-20-2013 02:16 PM

So far I like it. It's our first buggy so I can't compare it to much. Just ordered some aftermarket parts for it so I'm hoping it will make it a little stronger. Does well now but I want to be able to go where a quad can go, in reason of course!

SoapKart 05-20-2013 11:28 PM

I put a harbor freight winch on mine. I believe it's rated at 2500 lbs. It's came in handy a couple times. You can pick one up for $50 regularly if you watch their sales. I run mine right off the battery so there is no need to have the buggy running. Definitely a nice upgrade if you do a lot of solo riding.

Carbide-Ohio 05-21-2013 06:28 AM

Sounds like the same setup I have SoapKart!

2SlickNick 06-09-2013 02:19 PM

Since I got the Carbide I am considering the winch even more. This might be a stupid question...., but are you guys mounting the winch on the front or back of your buggy?

I was thinking on the front it might help be get up a steep hill or get to the other side of something.
On the back it will get me back to where I came from.
Any suggestions guys?

Miamieddie 06-09-2013 02:56 PM

Front...keep moving ahead in life never go backwards.. :)

Masteryota 06-09-2013 03:07 PM

Why not both?

In all seriousness, you could get a winch mount that goes in a receiver hitch, and add one to the front and back, and strap the winch to the back rack. something like this maybe..

http://www.northerntool.com/shop/too...FWZo7Aod7BEAsw

You could make you own though, if you have a welder, or you don't use a 2" receiver.

2SlickNick 06-09-2013 04:30 PM

Eddy your absolutely right.
Master not A bad idea. A winch that goes where you need it, smart.
I was asking because I have seen both on people's buggies.

4pullingGM 06-10-2013 08:38 AM

i have a friend who has front and rear winches on his four wheeler. I was plannining on mounting one on the front of the carbide

2SlickNick 07-20-2013 08:59 AM

okay, so a winch would set me back a few bucks but is worth it (in the future).
For now I bought a small come along for $10 at the flea market. It should serve it's purpose and I can use it anywhere I need it on the buggy.

bear 07-21-2013 07:30 AM

Where ya roll!

I just seen the little ones (2000#) @ Harbour Freight for $79 I almost bought one, but just couldnt justify it right now with one buggy torn apart and waiting on parts, plus I've yet to be in a place where I've needed it! thats a good thing right!? I guess it just comes down to where you ride & how extreme you get!

2SlickNick 07-21-2013 07:46 AM

Not needing one is ideal. There is a couple spot where I have to cross creeks (pronounced Cricks here in W.V.) and sometimes after a decent rain the bank gets slippery and I can't make it up. That one time I had to backtrack a mile and then drive on a city road to get home. Luckily Johnny Law was not around; although I did do the 40 mph speed limit and used hand signals.

bear 07-22-2013 12:18 PM

Hey I'm staying in Parkersburg right now, and I was born in Portsmouth, so yea I know its a "kriq". lol

2SlickNick 07-22-2013 12:40 PM

Ha ha. I was just in Parkersburg. Do you know any good spots to ride in?

bear 07-27-2013 09:18 PM

Just visiting!

Sorry Nick I'm just here on a job project working 12 and 14hrs shifts, so not much time to check this area out at all! :ack: