BuggyMasters.Com - An On Line Mini Buggy Forum and Go Kart Forum

BuggyMasters.Com - An On Line Mini Buggy Forum and Go Kart Forum (http://www.buggymasters.com/forum/index.php)
-   150cc GY6 and Under Engine Tech (http://www.buggymasters.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=29)
-   -   GY6 150cc will not stay running (http://www.buggymasters.com/forum/showthread.php?t=601)

bcplayer76 03-01-2010 10:01 AM

GY6 150cc will not stay running

2 Attachment(s)
Hey anyone please help, I just purchased a used 2007 Roketa gk-o1 150cc buggy at least that's what I believe it is, it was running the day I looked at it to buy, When I got it home it would not start...I replaced the cdi with a performance one along with the coil because I had no spark, change the plug also...Now I have to hold the gas peddle about 3/4 down to get it started and about 3 seconds in it will die on me, I cleaned the jets, carb, and gas tank.also replace the choke on carb or plunger what ever you call it and same thing.Checked the valves the gap on them now is .0019mm on both approx...the spark plug I gapped at 0.6mm seems small to me but that's what it called for.Also checked the stator spark and really couldn't tell how good spark was need to wait until night I guess...Can anyone help me please on what may be the issue here I am new to all this...I'll attach pics of the new and old cdi also..Thanks

bcplayer76 03-01-2010 10:02 AM

note that the 3 pin on female plug is open and I believe both green wires on new cdi are grounds and the 3 pin is a dummy right..the date on pics are today 01/01/2010 not 2005 didn't set date on camera.

olderthan 03-01-2010 02:43 PM

sounds like th choke is not working
olderthan

bcplayer76 03-01-2010 02:53 PM

A place in town said it may be the gasket to the intake also where the carb sit's at going to go look...

rich1 03-01-2010 08:56 PM

Sounds like air intake leak...buy some carb cleaner and spray it at gaskets and rubber connectors if it gets worse while running ..leak found.If OK.. Next do compression check.

SYCARMS 03-01-2010 11:25 PM

First thing is to check gas and make sure it hasn't gone bad, second make sure the carb is getting fuel, open drain on bottom of float bowl to see if fuel comes out, third check spark should be bright blue if yellow or white spark is weak. These things must be known prior to going on. I have many years experiance and have known many to skip over the basics spending a lot of time and money when the problem should have been obvious. Do not assume that just because you cleaned the carb that it is functioning properly. Also you will want to observe the spark plug as to its color and wheather it is wet, sooty or dry. These checks are the easiest and most effective path to troubleshooting. Do the basic checks than let us know your results. TOM

bcplayer76 03-02-2010 12:20 PM

Will do guys,thanks alot.

atc250rboy 03-03-2010 01:22 AM

Yeah what Tom said.Sounds to me like the slow jet is clogged.If you just cleaned your carb i will bet that something was put together wrong.Did you hook all the hose right?I cant tell you how many times i cleaned a carb and put it back on with a no start,then repeat process and have it run great.Are you just blowing your jets out or soaking and cleaning them?Recheck that plug gap and are you sure it the right cdi.You might want to switch back your old one and try it.Hope this helps and keep us posted.

bcplayer76 03-03-2010 12:08 PM

2 Attachment(s)
here's pics of the old and new cdi.. Old on top and new on bottom.Mabe you can tell if it's the right one by looking at it...I'm going to post a video on my youtube page what it's doing when i do i'll post a link, again thanks for everyone's help on this issue...

atc250rboy 03-03-2010 01:23 PM

It looks the same,however how it controls thing maybe the problem.Maybe it's advancing it to much.Like i said before,hook the old one back up and see what happens.Then if that does not work i would do the carb again.

bcplayer76 03-03-2010 02:59 PM

Yeah the old cdi won't even start my buggy. here's a link to see what the buggy is doing and how i have the hoses hooked up...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dq_E8bu-EN0

bcplayer76 03-03-2010 03:28 PM

alright I pulled my spark plug again and it's full of gas and black, cleaned it and buggy started right up and stalled after a few seconds, pulled plug and black like oily gas again so I know it's flooding but why,why,why...lol

Carp 03-03-2010 03:52 PM

Sorry to say but those engines are crap. Mine ran for 20 min and then died. My problem was a loose nut that allowed the stator to move which sheared off the key in the keyway. The loose nut bouncing around in there must have damaged some electrical junk. I made a new key, put it back together and it ran briefly. I swapped it out for a traditional engine and tav-2 system. It's in the junk pile now.......brand new......gearbox and all.

BuggyMaster 03-03-2010 03:58 PM

you may be able to sell some of the parts off

BuggyMaster 03-03-2010 04:02 PM

Ok, now you're getting somewhere. From your description, the first thing I would look at is the petcock. Make sure the lines are hooked up correctly. I saw one once where the petcock was bad and the lines reversed and it was sucking tons of fuel in through the vacuum port.

Quote:

Originally Posted by bcplayer76 (Post 6159)
alright I pulled my spark plug again and it's full of gas and black, cleaned it and buggy started right up and stalled after a few seconds, pulled plug and black like oily gas again so I know it's flooding but why,why,why...lol

bcplayer76 03-03-2010 04:39 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dq_E8bu-EN0 here;s the link for vid on what it's doing there is a stream of fuel coming from top line of petcock when i turn it over...is it no good?

BuggyMaster 03-03-2010 04:45 PM

excellent job! A vid!

Ok, it is supposed to stream down from the top line when you turn it over. You are going to need to get in the carb. I suspect you will find that it is gummed up in there.

Also, where does that top line go to on the engine. (i.e it runs from the top line of the petcock to ----------- fill in the blank)

bcplayer76 03-03-2010 04:54 PM

it goes to the back left side of carburetor just above the fuel bowl

olderthan 03-03-2010 05:19 PM

what was the taped over plug in the picture supposed to go to?
olderthan

BuggyMaster 03-03-2010 05:22 PM

you're gonna have to get in that carb.

SYCARMS 03-03-2010 05:23 PM

You have a vacume operated fuel pump. Engine vacume opens the diaphram letting the fuel go to carb. It appears to me that you are flooding out.Several things could be causing this such as stuck float, improperly adjusted float, trash on needle or in seat, or worn needle. You need to pull the carb and go in to inspect for problem. TOM

Redneck_Driver 03-03-2010 06:01 PM

one thing i noticed was that line coming from the valve cover needs to be hooked up to the air cleaner box, not just hanging there

Carp 03-03-2010 06:19 PM

Parts??

:lmao::lmao:
Quote:

Originally Posted by BuggyMaster (Post 6165)
you may be able to sell some of the parts off

It's complete! 2 speed forward and reverse gearbox. Someone told me this thing is a "big bore" engine. It's called "Kinroad".....made over in Taiwan or somewhere close to there.

SYCARMS 03-03-2010 06:23 PM

There isn't a problem with that hose hanging, all the older buggies just hang, However you will need to plug off the nipple at the air box if equipt since it will suck air after the air filter which means the air will not be filtered. TOM

bcplayer76 03-03-2010 06:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by olderthan (Post 6179)
what was the taped over plug in the picture supposed to go to?
olderthan

olderthan Not sure what pic or plug with tape your talking about ?

bcplayer76 03-03-2010 06:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SYCARMS (Post 6185)
There isn't a problem with that hose hanging, all the older buggies just hang, However you will need to plug off the nipple at the air box if equipt since it will suck air after the air filter which means the air will not be filtered. TOM

the airbox doesn't have one but the end of that hose looks like it at one time use to be hooked somewhere.

bcplayer76 03-03-2010 06:35 PM

thanks for everyone's help going to pull the carb back off keep you all updated.

bcplayer76 03-03-2010 07:04 PM

carbs off cleaned again looks good to me,but the hose on the bottom of petcock leading to back right of carb is getting fuel is that a good thing

SYCARMS 03-03-2010 07:43 PM

Is the float height ok? when the float is in the up position does the needle close against the seat cutting the supply of fuel from entering the fuel bowl? As explained before that is not a petcock it is a fuel pump. when the engine supplies vacume to the pump it pulls on the diaphram inside letting fuel flow from the tank.When you disconnect the fuel supply at the carb and turn over the engine if the fuel pulses out the pump is working properly. If the vacume supply line has fuel in it the pump is bad. You need to determine this with the pump first than make sure when the float rises it shuts off the supply of fuel to the carb cause if not the engine will flood. When you tore the carb down did you remove the float? Was the float installed correctly? TOM

bcplayer76 03-03-2010 08:49 PM

fuel pump is drawing fuel from top and bottom lines,so that is no good right and the float looks good to me..there is only one way it goes in..

SYCARMS 03-03-2010 09:48 PM

The two lines running to the pump only one should have fuel in it. If you have fuel on the vacume side the pump is bad. As stated earlier as the piston travels downward it pulls a vacume thru the one line which pulls the diaphram to the open position allowing fuel to flow from the fuel tank down to the carburetor fuel inlet, than as the piston starts in its upward stroke the vacume drops off. When vacume drops off the diaphram spring pushes the diaphram closed whis gives a slight push to the fuel before closing off the fuel flow from the tank.Than as the piston starts its downward travel the whole process repeats. If your getting fuel thru both lines than not only are you getting fuel to the carb , you will be injecting fuel right into the intake which will cause your problem, Pumps go for about 15.00 I have them in stock. TOM

Carp 03-03-2010 10:21 PM

Make sure the engine is still in time......

bcplayer76 03-04-2010 09:35 AM

thanks tom I will order that today from you...

bcplayer76 03-04-2010 10:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SYCARMS (Post 6196)
The two lines running to the pump only one should have fuel in it. If you have fuel on the vacume side the pump is bad. As stated earlier as the piston travels downward it pulls a vacume thru the one line which pulls the diaphram to the open position allowing fuel to flow from the fuel tank down to the carburetor fuel inlet, than as the piston starts in its upward stroke the vacume drops off. When vacume drops off the diaphram spring pushes the diaphram closed whis gives a slight push to the fuel before closing off the fuel flow from the tank.Than as the piston starts its downward travel the whole process repeats. If your getting fuel thru both lines than not only are you getting fuel to the carb , you will be injecting fuel right into the intake which will cause your problem, Pumps go for about 15.00 I have them in stock. TOM

Tom I checked the site but do not see the part and other sites have the one that looks like mine but says for 50cc and the ones for 150cc and 250cc don't have the two valves only one ?????

SYCARMS 03-04-2010 11:42 AM

I don't put the oem parts on my site, but as stated I do have the pump in stock $15.00 + s/h. Either give me a call 662-301-1563 or e-mail me tom@sycpowersports.com give me your full Name, address, phone # and e-mail so that I can e-mail you an invoice. TOM

olderthan 03-04-2010 04:39 PM

in your video you are talking about the 3 way splitter
just rearward is a plug with tape over it
your video makes me belive your are flooding
buy the part from Tom
then you will be up and running
olderthan

bcplayer76 03-09-2010 12:36 PM

alright guys took a mini vacation came back after my head was clear i worked on the buggy it was the most simple thing...Like I said I just purchased this buggy used and I went to my local powersports store and got me a new spark plug THE RIGHT ONE...Because the one in there was for a car, the previous owner before my brother I guess thought it would work I never new this until My other brother who customizes vehicles pointed it out to me...He said something this simple will just keep flooding the carb out...Now it purrzzzzzz...thanks for everyones help and Tom if in the future i need a fuel valve I get it from you...I;m learning but I will help out with what I'm learning,thanks all

SYCARMS 03-09-2010 02:14 PM

Glad to hear it is running. TOM