BuggyMasters.Com - An On Line Mini Buggy Forum and Go Kart Forum

BuggyMasters.Com - An On Line Mini Buggy Forum and Go Kart Forum (http://www.buggymasters.com/forum/index.php)
-   FrankenBuggy Tech (http://www.buggymasters.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   Help please (http://www.buggymasters.com/forum/showthread.php?t=607)

Garydanforth 03-04-2010 06:29 AM

Help please

I have a carter talon with the gy6 and im looking to stick a street bike motor in it, now what would i have to do to make it work. what would i have to buy extra to make it fit and what will i have to modify. i will post pics of the proccess

Garydanforth 03-04-2010 07:20 AM

i have been looking at youtube and it looks like the rear is extended, of coarse prob to compansate for the bigger motor. is there any easy way to do this? can i buy a rear end from something else to do this or can i just extend the origanal

roysheepdog 03-04-2010 09:33 AM

what motor do you want to run?
if you can do without a street bike motor it would be easy to put a dirt bike motor in it.most of them are smaller than your 150 but make more power.a cr 250 is around 40hp or so and will fit were your 150 is so you dont have to extend the rear end.
look at horsepower on some of the motors to see what you want and to give you an idea of how fast it will be think of this

my buggy was about 500lbs with about 10hp so 1hp had to push 50lbs
500lbs with 40hp =1hp only pushing 12.5lbs
500lbs with 100hp=1hp pushing 5lbs
look at the hp to lbs of a vet.or a viper
that wont give you dead nut speed but will give a ball park

Garydanforth 03-05-2010 07:45 AM

hey i never thought about a dirt bike motor. thanks that would be easier. would it bolt up like stock or what would i have to do to it? thanks for the idea great answere, im accually going to price some dirtbike motors

roysheepdog 03-05-2010 11:06 AM

the d.b.motor wont have the same boilt pattern as your 150.you will have to build motor mounts. if you get the hole bike you could cut the frame out that holds the motor and weld it to the swing arm(the easiest way).keep in mind no reverse and most d.b.have a kick start but you can find some of them with electric start.
it would be best to get the hole bike if you can find one cheep so you can ride it and get the bugs worked befor you put it on the buggy and you will need some things off the bike.
cluch cable
cluch lever(or build a cluch pedal)
all the wiring

also dont pass a good atv motor
so can you weld and do fab work?

KID4LIFE 03-05-2010 11:28 AM

i agree with sheepdog, i built a cart years ago with a dirt bike engine on it (125cc) and that thing had all kinds of torque and power. i've mentioned in other threads that if hammerhead or others would make a buggy with bike style power plant......man, i would be all over it. imagine the low end on that sucker....endless!! you could climb trees with it! i would like a set-up like a 400cc quad (with a clutch pack) but in a buggy cage.:biggthumpup:

Garydanforth 03-05-2010 12:01 PM

i can weld some but i was thinking of planning it out and having my buddy help me, he is a good welder/fabricator. actually this is my first buggy, its a crap load of fun, if i got a wheeler could i make it with reverse? i really want this to be as profesional as possible. i really dont care too much about reverse but it would be nice.

KID4LIFE 03-05-2010 12:05 PM

yea, that's the down side of using a bike engine. i don't know how or if it would work but if you can find a quad that was equiped with reverse you may be able to get that to work. might have to use the quad rear though....:dunno:

hollywood 03-05-2010 07:20 PM

i been lookin at my quantum, and when the motor goes its going to get prob a 250 big red motor, most have electric start,reverse and some have hi and low, wont have the snap of d.b. but be nice to have five gears, key start and rev

olderthan 03-05-2010 09:37 PM

after winter look at used snowmobiles
some have reverse on them and elec start
after cold weather leaves they get cheaper
olderthan

BuggyMaster 03-07-2010 09:12 PM

Find a polaris chain driven engine or a can am chain driven. They use a right side drive (just like the buggy) and have reverse built in!

Garydanforth 03-09-2010 08:24 AM

how much would a polaris or can am cost do u think??? just a ball park. i had a polaris trail blazer 250 we had for years too bad i sold it like 2 years ago

ND2BFSTR 05-15-2010 11:36 AM

Hi again all, I have decide to upgrade my engine, will be searching the local used parts graveyards, thanks to all of your posts I know what to look for. I will pull the GY6 150 and I hope to find a 250cc to replace it. Will the Helix frame take it?

BuggyMaster 05-16-2010 12:13 PM

I think it will. Be sure to post your progress in the Frankenbuggy forum.