BuggyMasters.Com - An On Line Mini Buggy Forum and Go Kart Forum

BuggyMasters.Com - An On Line Mini Buggy Forum and Go Kart Forum (http://www.buggymasters.com/forum/index.php)
-   Other tech issues (http://www.buggymasters.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=53)
-   -   Ideal chain lube (http://www.buggymasters.com/forum/showthread.php?t=627)

jpman 03-12-2010 12:06 AM

Ideal chain lube

I haven't found this in any other thread so here is an old dirt bike trick I learned in the 70's. Chains and dirt do not get along and adding any petroleum based chain lube just attracts more dirt so... get some paraffin (wax blocks used for canning your own jams/jellies). Some grocery stores carry it and the stuff I buy comes 4 blocks in a package for $2.00. Remove your chain and clean it, kerosene in a can with a stiff brush works good,and dry it off preferably with compressed air. To melt the paraffin place it in an old sauce pan ( do not use your wife's or moms good pans!) and put that pan in another with boiling water. Twist open a metal coat hanger and run it through the last open link in the chain, and lay it in the melted paraffin (off of the stove). Move the chain around in the pan to help the melted wax work it's way inside the rollers of the chain while it's hot. Hang it up outside and let it get hard. After it's dry just shake it a little to get off the excess wax and reinstall. The wax works as a lubricant, doesn't attract dirt and lasts a lot longer than chain lube. NOTE; this will not work on o-ring sealed chains. ENJOY!:D

PAbuggy 03-12-2010 12:12 AM

I like it thanks for the tip

KID4LIFE 03-12-2010 12:21 PM

that's cool. i've been using gear oil. works o.k. but i might try the wax next time. thanks....:hooaray:

joshstep1 03-12-2010 03:36 PM

Wow, thanks. I'll have to try it.

24evanwilson 03-12-2010 03:57 PM

ill use ,my sk8 wax

ckau 03-16-2010 03:46 AM

Wax does a better job of lubing the chain without attracting dirt. but that is a lot of work. You can buy a spray can down at your local motorcycle dealer. It's sold under the name "chain wax". coats the chain and gears with paraffin. Spray it on like any lube, wait a few minutes for it to soak in and dry. I use 530 O-ring super bike chains, it works great on them.

jpman 03-16-2010 11:19 PM

Cool, I've never seen it in a spray can, but I'll check my local shops.

kliff 03-18-2010 04:53 AM

With a non "o"ring chain, I think I'll be running a home built version of a scott oiler. It uses a thin oil, like Marvel Mystery oil, and depending on how the needle valve is adjusted, will determine how many drops per minute the chain will see, 2>5 usually sufficient. Sure oil will attact dirt, no arguement there. But a flow of oil, even minimal, will tend to keep the chain libricated and washed clean, at the same time.

Down side...'SLING OFF' It's gotta go somewhere, and it's messy.... be sure your chain guard is open to the bottom only!

ckau 03-18-2010 08:54 PM

nice thing about "chain wax' , it doesn't sling off.

kliff 05-08-2010 12:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ckau (Post 6490)
nice thing about "chain wax' , it doesn't sling off.

Works great on an "o"ring chain, but does not penetrate to lube the rollers on a NON "0"ring chain.

daveinmd 05-10-2010 08:23 AM

The wax is a good idea. Bicycle shops sell chain lubricant which is wax/alcohol based in a sqweeze bottle. I use it on my mountain bike chains and when i first tried it I noticed it didn't attract dust and dirt. That sells for around $10.00 a bottle. Performance Bikes sells it.

AceFab 01-12-2012 12:49 AM

I've used the spray chain wax on karts and atv's and really like the stuff and a can goes a long way too.

x-bird 01-12-2012 07:33 AM

I've been using Tri-flow spray on the kart, i think it is still a "wet" type, but all in all, the chain has stayed pretty clean. Haven't run in dusty conditions though. just been wet mud around here this year.

Lyonsperf 01-13-2012 06:39 AM

I use Boeshield T-9. Designed for aircraft