BuggyMasters.Com - An On Line Mini Buggy Forum and Go Kart Forum

BuggyMasters.Com - An On Line Mini Buggy Forum and Go Kart Forum (http://www.buggymasters.com/forum/index.php)
-   New Member Introduction (http://www.buggymasters.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=57)
-   -   Hello Everyone (http://www.buggymasters.com/forum/showthread.php?t=3078)

Ironknot-Buggy 06-05-2012 06:20 PM

Hello Everyone

:party:Hi, my name is David (Ironknot-buggy) and I'm into all things buggy. :party:

Superman 06-05-2012 07:35 PM

Hey man welcome! I joined over the weekend myself. It's a great forum with a lot of helpful people on it from what I've seen from reading and experienced myself so far.

Ironknot-Buggy 06-05-2012 07:46 PM

Thanks Superman. . . you know I never thought Superman would be a lurker. . . To be honest I don't knot how I feel about it. . .
Should be lots of fun, my minds ticks on new ideas.

Superman 06-05-2012 08:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ironknot-Buggy (Post 24734)
Thanks Superman. . . you know I never thought Superman would be a lurker. . . To be honest I don't knot how I feel about it. . .
Should be lots of fun, my minds ticks on new ideas.

:laughing: It's only because I'm new. I'm pretty active on forums usually.

Ironknot-Buggy 06-05-2012 08:13 PM

Oh . . . sure

. . . what about all that hanging around on the top of buildings . . . and I hate to mention it but X-ray vision. . . my head is spinning. . . Oh No I'm one to . . . its spreading. :fart:

metalstudman1 06-05-2012 11:28 PM

Welcome

Ironknot-Buggy 06-05-2012 11:50 PM

Thanks Metal, cool site!

Zapper 06-06-2012 11:53 AM

Welcome to the site great people with a lot of help

Ironknot-Buggy 06-07-2012 04:40 AM

Hi Zapper

Hi Zapper thanks, I think your right about the site and the competitions, although I haven't had time to read a great deal as yet, seem like a bit of fun.
I probably should mention I'm designing my own buggy and can think of nothing better than working through new ideas, they make me tick.
I have a large single seat design and the closer I get to finalizing it the more ideas and details seem to present themselves. The buggy may knot be the norm for this site but its ideas that I think are important and thats just a buggy thing so here's the plan:
I have a Hayabusa 1300, 1999, complete bike, accident damaged but seems to run good and no noise or smoke.
Fox 18 x 2 inch coil overs with res, no springs as yet (front)
Fox 16 x 2 inch air shocks (back).
Fox 16 x 2 inch 3 tube by-pass shocks (back).
Grey area 4 piston front brake kit.
Stubs, combo for A-arm.
930 CVs.
Its something I've been wanting to do for a long time and the ideas have been coming together for a few years so I've brought the parts I think will work with the end result and are trying to gather as much information as I can to get the plan finalised.
As I say maybe knot what everyone wants but I hope the Idea at least will stir some interest and if so I will post a build thread when I'm ready to start getting things inplace.
At the minute, I'm budgeting a welder and for Cromo thats probably going to be a Tig, then I'm teaching myself to weld. . . lol. . . if I sound optomistic, I am.

metalstudman1 06-07-2012 09:51 AM

Your in the right forum!!! Most of us would want to build that "Highend Buggy/Sandrail!!! You definitely have the "ULTIMATE" powerplant. You also have some of the other expensive parts of a build- "quailty" shocks. I'm very interested in your build and seeing the progress when you start.
Your being optimistic is a great quality to have as this will carry you through the "can't make up my mind" stage of a build. IMO- I think Mig/Tig/Heliarc welding are fairly easy to master- it's the understanding of "metallurgy" that most people overlook or fail to wrap their heads around.

Zapper 06-07-2012 10:06 AM

Build

:cheers:I always like to get the opinions of others that have more experance in things before jumping in and screwing things up.
I just need to complete the Trantula first and then start on the Taz build.LOL:banana:

Ironknot-Buggy 06-07-2012 03:44 PM

Interesting

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zapper (Post 24818)
:cheers:I always like to get the opinions of others that have more experance in things before jumping in and screwing things up.
I just need to complete the Trantula first and then start on the Taz build.LOL:banana:

Would have to agree with you there Zapper and no shortage of jobs on the list too. . . LOL.

Quote:

Originally Posted by metalstudman1 (Post 24816)
Your in the right forum!!! Most of us would want to build that "Highend Buggy/Sandrail!!! You definitely have the "ULTIMATE" powerplant. You also have some of the other expensive parts of a build- "quailty" shocks. I'm very interested in your build and seeing the progress when you start.
Your being optimistic is a great quality to have as this will carry you through the "can't make up my mind" stage of a build. IMO- I think Mig/Tig/Heliarc welding are fairly easy to master- it's the understanding of "metallurgy" that most people overlook or fail to wrap their heads around.

Good point you make about the metallurgy, I haven't though about it and maybe I should do some research, I'm knot completely settled with the idea of the weld sinking into the pipe fitment idea even though I have some arc experience. This I will do.

Both of you seem to have reached my idea nicely, good to know there is interest in the project. . . time to search metallurgy.

Just to broarden the idea a bit: I have looked at a Roadstercycle reverse but think a jack shaft with starter ring around a disk for brake and starter reverse will suit be better. The problem at the moment is getting from the jack shaft to the axle, I want something that will last and this will take some new ideas that have me thinking a lot.

metalstudman1 06-07-2012 08:41 PM

I've given the starter reverse a minutes thought in the past & the biggest obstacle I found was the size of the ring gear/tooth count. To be affordable you need a good high torque starter to match and 10"+ size is about as small as you can go- this almost always exceeds the size axle sprocket needed and creates a very large cradle/spool housing. Unless you're after an extreme long travel machine-engine spacing is critical on the IRS to get the rear tires as close to the seat as possible and reduce the CV hubs support arms- either swung on the rear of the cockpit or A-arm configuration. I always wanted to look at my Goldwing set-up for reverse as an option in a buggy. IMO- The Roadstercycle is EXPENSIVE to me!!!! If I were to spend that kind of money it would be on a RPM gearbox.