BuggyMasters.Com - An On Line Mini Buggy Forum and Go Kart Forum

BuggyMasters.Com - An On Line Mini Buggy Forum and Go Kart Forum (http://www.buggymasters.com/forum/index.php)
-   FrankenBuggy Tech (http://www.buggymasters.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   a little help.... (http://www.buggymasters.com/forum/showthread.php?t=648)

username 03-20-2010 12:41 AM

a little help....

Okay please forgive me i am new to building gokarts and new to this forum...

I am taking a yerf dog that had front suspension only and a live axle and a little single seater gokart with out a live axle and making them one. I have a blue clone motor that i plan to modify decently. I am taking the axles off the yerf dog both front and back and put them on the small single seater so that i can use the wide rims of the yerf dog and the live axle. My question is what size axle is on the yerf dog, is it a 1" with a 1/4" key way ? I know it has 60t sprocket on it. Is there a formula to figure out what size sprocket to get to get for more top end? I also have a 15x6 tire at the moment i want to go with a very low profile slick style tire what is a good tire size to get? Sorry if this is confusing, if it is please let me know i will try to reword it. Thanks for the help.

KID4LIFE 03-20-2010 08:25 AM

i have a yerf dog 3203 that i have replaced the axle on. mine is 1" diamteter w/ a 1/4" key. if you have a different model kart i'm not sure if the axles would be same diameter. have you tried googling your model number for a parts manual on-line? there is still some decent info out there on these karts.
good luck with the project.:)
Dave

username 03-20-2010 10:17 AM

No i cant find a model number on it nor do i have a book on it. i bought the gokart for 25$ from a customer. Is there an online location that is best to purchase parts from?

KID4LIFE 03-20-2010 04:07 PM

in ohio, there is a yerf dog parts distributor named BMI karts. the web site is *************
you can try them. without knowing the model of the kart you may need to look on ebay and find one that looks like yours to find out what it is.

ckau 03-21-2010 07:17 AM

The stock yerf rear axle comes with a 31 tooth sprocket and a fixed welded hub. so you might have a hard time getting the chain to line up. Getting another axle sprocket will require having something custom made for the bolt pattern. Axle diameter is 1 & 1/4" [ plus or minus] at the frame bearing positions. It takes a 1&1/4" inner dia. bearing.
For speed, go down on the tooth count of the axle sprocket. For every tooth on the counter sprocket, going 2 teeth, up or down, on the axle sprocket changes the final drive ratio by an average of 10%. Lower axle sprocket count = speed. Higher count on counter sprocket = torque. Do a search on line for gear ratio charts. There are a ton of them out there. Depending on your needs, something around 1/50 to 2/00 final drive will give a fairly good balance of speed plus enough torque to get the cart rolling without overheating the clutch. A ratio higher will give good top speed but it will take a mile straight to reach top speed.

steve7680768 04-27-2010 05:33 AM

You people are great...
Thank you for the help...

olderthan 04-27-2010 09:33 AM

steve
welcome to the group