View Single Post
Old 10-02-2010, 06:59 PM
Lurker

Well, I recieved the new parts, but was surprised to find that the original intake was actually aluminum covered in rubber other than the part that fits over the carb. Obviously an intake leak was not the problem. The sorry replacement I bought was all rubber other than the mounting flange. I was convinced at that point that the main problem was the increased compression was causing trouble with the weak battery. I hooked up a 12 amp hour battery (the original was only 8-10) and found that it still wouldn't turn over very well. It hesitates at top dead center on every revolution because it doesn't have enough ummph to turn the engine over consistently. The battery seems to be fine and the voltage stays above 10.5-11 volts while turning the starter. That was always the main thing to watch when I used to test and replace car batteries. I'm thinking the starter is bad. Maybe that's been my starting problem all along. It was erratic before, but the increase in compression made it a consistent problem. Anyone ever had a starter problem??