View Single Post
Old 04-28-2011, 04:38 PM
Lurker

Unhappy New Update

Hi guys,
So found oil was leaking from the cylinder/engine casing gasket. So while I had it stripped I replaced the cylinder (had to order the part from china - In the UK its either super expensive or not in stock!). Rebuilt with new piston and rings, and new valves.

Used the advice from ckau and marked on fly wheel when piston is at top and bottom. Used the cam alignment marks when piston was at dead top. Valve clearance is 0.002" and she turns over smoothly (this time with the proper noises and air venting from the exhaust and sucking in the carb )

However, I still cannot get her to fire. Still have a good blue spark, all earths are good, and smell of fuel from the exhaust indicates there is fuel (at some level). Would someone mind elaborating on the timing pleeeease

I'm still stumped (but getting closer everytime I think). The woodruff key in the flywheel is still solid and so would the markings on the flywheel be that far off? Also using the cam markings (2 little, and 1 big hole) neither valve is open, but is that right if the piston is absolute top? I was guessing that the flywheel T timing marking means the valves are both closed and therefore the cam timing mark would be right?

Also clarification when I referred to the head being milled, I was referring to the factory build process.....as in what is the chance it was a cheap chinese part that wasnt made all that acurately?

One day I'll get her running again, although it has given me a chance to underseal the chasis