Thread: IRS or solid
View Single Post
Old 05-11-2011, 06:46 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by GX150 View Post
Unless you are running a shaft driven rear axle, you cannot run multi link on a solid axle - There would not be an easy way to keep the chain sprockets properly lined up.
True-My "different type of buggy" multi-link comes from the Mini sprint world and doesn't do too bad achieving the best of both worlds.Currently it has 9" of travel individually and 5" straight up and down. My goal with my Frankenbuggy build was to try a combination suspension to see if I could have another approach to good bite and the fun of churning the tires sideways with some good G-forces applied and still be able to slide it some without hopping or roll-over.On a 4-wheeler you have the advantage of body placement to overcome these forces,but not so much strapped into a buggy. Since I haven't finished it yet I can just speculate!!!
I agree 100% with Buggymaster- IRS is the simpliest most effective way to go but more expensive.You still have the variables to contend with on IRS. First off a stiff shock makes the IRS slide easy but beats you up at high speed, struts makes for a great ride in the rough but soaks up a lot of those G-forces that you need to slide with.Tire size and tread pattern play a huge factor too. Sorry if this was all known information to you.