Thread: can any help
View Single Post
Old 06-22-2011, 09:44 AM
Lurker

Default A-Arm

Hi Bobby,

I went to measure the a-arm length and its hard to measure on the kart and enough different than your setup that I think giving you a number will add more confusion than help you. Your spindle brackets are welded 90 deg to the a arm and ours are angled, so top measurement will differ from bottom measurement and likely not help you. Here are a couple bits of info that may help you. If you stand in front of the cart and point the wheels straight, the curved end of the a-arm (not including welded spindle bracket) lines up even with cart frame by eyeball. The inside edge of the tire sits out about 1.7" from the cart frame if you drew parallel lines and measured them. When I eyeball your pics that looks about where you are. Your tie rods definately need adjusting like MetalStudman said. Also like was mentioned earlier these carts have a very wide turn radius. Ours will not make a u turn around on our side road witout having to go on a curb.
These carts only have single a arms and wheel angle is all over the place dependant on weight in cart. There might be something wrong with yours, or it might be just what this cart is - it's a fun kart, but a budget design that does not have the precision steering that a double a-arm desigh would give you. Since there are always some for sale on craigslist, you might want to have a look at another one for sale, to see what it turns like, before you start replacing a-arms and spindles and putting more money into it. Yours might be worn or may just be what it is. I saw a wear mark in the paint on the corner of the frame on yours from the tire in your pics. Ours doesn't hit there if I turn the wheel, but has the same wear mark, so must ocasionally hit in use. I also checked ours and there is also no play between spindle bracket and spindle. Hope that helps some.