View Single Post
Old 09-12-2009, 07:07 PM
Administrator

That all depends on the way the carb is set up. That is why I mentioned my racing kart. Under normal circumstances, as you screw it in, you are cutting off the fuel supply thus leaning it out. If you screw it all the way in, you cut the fuel off completely and it should/will die.

On my racing kart, despite the fact that the mixture screw is on the engine side (which usually dictates that you are adjusting the amount of fuel as explained above) it was backwards and I haven't seen many like this. In this case you are adjusting the amount of air allowed to bleed into the fuel stream. If you close it all the way you are not cutting off the fuel, just the amount of air going into the stream. Close it all the way and you have a solid stream of fuel (which gets mixed with air through the air intake of the carb). The fact that justin can turn it all the way in and it not die makes me think that it is possibly setup like my racing kart. This of course is all theory without having my hands on the carb itself.