View Single Post
Old 09-24-2011, 08:31 AM
Lurker

Yea, 54, I'm pretty sure after some more digging it's gear oil (80-90w).
Well, to the story of how this thing broke my arm.....
I "cut" this track behind my in-laws house a couple of years ago when we got the buggy. It was an awesome track, too. It sat on a gradual slope and was about 1/4 mile all the way around, a simple oval with really wide, sweeping turns. The "up hill" section had a couple of little dips and rises, no real "jumps" but it'd bounce you around a bit. The "down hill" side was flat and fast. Well, right before you'd have to yank the wheel (and drift) through "turns 3 and 4" there was a little dip that, if you lifted and gave a little brake it would set the buggy up perfectly to get it sideways so you could drift (we call it "dirt tracking" haha) through those turns. Of course, I pushed the buggy for all it was worth through those turns, more and more each time. I was ALWAYS careful to put my seatbelt on and wear my helmet (full face with polycarb face shield). This day, of course, I didn't. I was just gonna warm the buggy up a bit, because we had a bunch of friends over for lunch and we were gonna ride the kids around. I did (Praise God) buckle my son (5 at the time) in good and get his helmet on just right. Anyway, I take off for a few laps and me and my son are getting faster and faster and I decide to see if I can handle that last turn without giving 'er much brake..........BIG mistake......the buggy didn't like that too much. I come off of that little dip going about 35 and try to yank it right and I got just enough weight on the Left front to make it REALLY yank it right and we flipped over....kinda almost a somersault over that L front. Of course, I go flying out, the cart rolls over me and my son rides it out, to the tune of about a roll and a half and lands upside down. Adrenaline's pumping at this time so I jump up thinking I'm good and run over to unbuckle my barely crying son, who by the way barely missed riding the thing out all the way into the swamp that sits right beside the track (scared me even more he wasn't screaming....). Well I reach down with my left arm to unbuckle him and my shoulder is the only thing that really moves. My humerus was fractured right in the middle. Then my L eye fills up with blood, just in time to see my wife and mother in law unbuckle my kid. I had an "avulsion" injury to my head, right at my hairline.....where basically the skin gets "peeled back" like a flap. Of course we called 911 and "slick" shows up as a first responder.....I'm having to tell him how to splint/sling my arm and wrap my head.....I get an ambulance ride to the hospital, surgery (big plate and screws-I'll post pics later-haha), 13 stitches, 2 weeks off work, 18 months of weakness/pain in the L arm and a busted buggy. I got the buggy JUST ABOUT back to tip top shape.......and then I go and drain the doggone gear oil out of it INSTEAD of the motor oil. HAHA. So that's why I'm here. Hoping you guys learn from my mistake and hoping I can learn from ya'll's expertise.
On a side note, PRAISE GOD my son was unhurt and I work for a large orthopedic group so I was very well taken care of and knew almost everyone that "worked" on me.