View Single Post
Old 10-04-2011, 07:25 PM
Contributor

The upgrading continues.. This mod was long overdue i have Works shocks on the front of the buggy but not the rear. I have been trying to use various sets without any real sucess. So i finally broke down and got a set of Works for the rear. I made some brackets to mount the shocks since they are 14.5 in. long . That worked fine since i gained a full inch of travel too.They are 2 stage spring sets using the short Black ones on the bottom. The problem was they came with straight wound main springs that were way too stiff Blue 90 lbs . I was losing half the travel i was supposed to have, so I changed the springs to a Yellow progressive set . Next i set the pre-load to the standard 10mm the result was 5 in of controlled travel and no sag. Since this buggy uses a rising rate suspension with the rear higher the steering ackerman has been greatly improved too.. So Sun. was the big shake down test day ! The track thru the woods has a 2 foot high down hill jump that I always let off for in the past, not today. It was like it was not even there plus take off traction improved since the rear now squatted and got traction. However just when all was great the rear axle shifted and ground to a halt. One rear axle bearing failed and gauled the axle beyond repair. The axle was not exactly cheep either, the best price i could get was $160.00. Dam I was going to put new bearings all around over the Winter I guess the plan was moved to the Fall instead. Thats Racing !