View Single Post
Old 11-30-2011, 04:47 AM
Power User

I'll put up some pics this am. Drained and took the radiator off last night so i could do just that. I'll reshoot the schematic as well (my scanner doesn't work)

That is the regulator in the center. The stator wires feed into it--they had to be cut when i replaced the engine--the plug was corrosion fused together. In the regulator plug, the ground and positive feeds are on the terminals on the other side of those. I'm also wondering if the female terminal ends i put on the wires are too close inside the plug end. The original regulator plug end had plastic divider walls in it.

The stator wires should give me 12v+ when cranking, correct?

The way I read the schematic, it appears that the stator is just supplying voltage back to the battery for charging and the ignition coils should be supplying spark voltage independently. Single magnet on the outside of the flywheel seems plenty strong, as do the ones inside. I did have to reattach one of the inside magnets--they seem strong enough as well given how many tools they kept gathering when on the bench.

Any chance that the coils are specific to cyls 1 and 2?

Does the regulator factor into the ignition voltage?

As far as getting any type of values for this engine, I've really been striking out on that. Even though it's still on the market manuals and specs seem to be closely guarded secrets lol--cant get a service manual for it.

Years ago we went through a period with this engine where no one could get it running, two different scag shops went over it. The regulator was replaced along with the carb solenoid, fuel filter, fuel pump and some wiring connections. After they were done with it, (and paid lol) I finally found that the fuel line was plugged between the tank and filter. I still have the original regulator and fuel pump as spares. I also have a pair of stators from our 15hp Kohlers, slightly different coil array, (i think they're 10-post and this one is 12 iirc) no idea if they'll fit dimensionally.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg x11.jpg (43.8 KB, 23 views)
File Type: jpg x1.jpg (35.2 KB, 13 views)
File Type: jpg x2.jpg (35.9 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg x3.jpg (39.7 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg x4.jpg (36.9 KB, 11 views)

Last edited by x-bird; 11-30-2011 at 05:16 AM.