View Single Post
Old 12-31-2011, 10:59 AM
Power User

Quote:
Originally Posted by metalstudman1 View Post
The GY6 only has 2 mounting points- 1 over the center top of the engine (near the carb) and the other is at the rear that allows for chain adjustment, it hangs in the frame. The rear sprocket will allow for the chain to go forward,down and rearward directions, so if it's long on the swingarm it can get back to the axle.
Thanks guys, this is the kind of input I'm after. I'd like to do something with the engine in the next two weeks, so a bit of a wait isn't an issue. I just need to come up with a plan so I can decide what to do with the 6.5 i have and the little one's mini shark. Even if i replace the driven and shelve the 6.5 for now and start her with the 3 hp and a centrifugal, i'm ahead of the game having a spare engine and "trans."

Metal, what i visualize from your description is that the "right" GY6 for a kart can go in a frame that has a rigid axle attached to it? That's where i'm lost with these, i can't figure out if the "transmission/driven sprocket" portion has a pivot like a swingarm that is going to require a floating axle or a chain tensioner system.

I also gather that 150cc versions of these start out with around 8-10 hp? I watched the comparison and saw that the 250 really just has a stronger bottom to the power band (comes with teh cubes) up top it looks like they're pretty even. I'm a big cube, long stroke torque junkie if you haven't figured that out yet (comes with being a Pontiac guy). ))

I think my perception of "fiddly" seems to come from just the amount that are out there and the no start issues caused by old gas and bad wiring connection--that and apparently there's a lot of adjustment that can be done with the CVT--is that where the variator and rollers/sliders etc come in to play????

BTW, I also have an old, but never used Peterbuilt fog/driving light set-- 2 55 watt lights, relay, switch and harness. Is there a particular amp output level i should look for?

Last edited by x-bird; 12-31-2011 at 11:13 AM.