View Single Post
Old 04-07-2012, 01:39 PM
Power User

In the home stretch .. may have this running in "rough"" state this evening or tomorrow.
Front suspension finally all together both sides.

Hubs taken apart and regreased. one rear bearing race has some issues, so a new bearing set is on the "near future list" One bearing and race size for both front and rear makes it simple ordering wise at least.

Second offset rim converted to 4x4 bolt pattern and both painted.--new shoes mounted.

Steering rack mount made. the lower "support" chunk is a 3/4 x 1/2 piece of Ez-Go golf cart steering arm. One hole existed for the tie rod, I added another to cut the weight a bit. The vertical piece that the rack bolts to is cut from structural steel C-channel. The inside dimension of the channel had very heavy radius and thick, angled sides of the "C" and using that allows the rack's to mount pointed upwards, more in line with the column. I did a heavy bevel grind on the inside, welded the two together, the ground and filed off the excess weld to make a 90-deg. corner. The base of the yerf's rack was very uneven from the casting process, so that had to be ground and filed flat to set snug in the 90.

Rack aligned with late night teething session. Sander, dremel, angle grinder file ...forever ...

I have to grind back the a-arm mount upright for rack nut clearance, weld the mount in place, bolt the rack in then work up the tie rod mounts on the steering arms. Have some grade-8 aircraft rated nuts/bolts for it.

After that, it's bolt (and zip tie & tape) everything in place and see how it runs. If the knock off uni air filter is issue for jetting, i have a stock airbox to put in its place. Could also tape over portions of the filter to cut the intake of air if needed.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg z6.jpg (90.9 KB, 33 views)
File Type: jpg z7.jpg (88.1 KB, 22 views)
File Type: jpg z8.jpg (89.1 KB, 25 views)
File Type: jpg z9.jpg (92.8 KB, 26 views)
File Type: jpg z10.jpg (87.5 KB, 24 views)

Last edited by x-bird; 04-07-2012 at 01:46 PM.