View Single Post
Old 04-25-2012, 11:06 PM
Power User

Quote:
Originally Posted by SYCARMS View Post
Looks great, but one would have to expect a quality paint job out of a High Tech EPA approved spray booth such as yours.
My brother wouldn't let me come near his DD booth with the rustoleum. He'd be chasing fisheyes for weeks Word of warning ... the hammertone paint has to be cut with xylol-- a lot nastier than the mineral spirits used with the regular rusty. Were I in CA, the EPA's black choppers would've hauled my butt off in minutes --- nothing like a good 'ol high pressure gun and a massive plume of dry overspray wafting out of the garage. I'll just blame it on dixie or the cement plants around here ...

It used a quart of primer at $12, 2/3rds of the hammertone, $14, a 1/4 cup or so of black, and a 1/2 cup of red $3 or so. plus strainers, pails, mineral spirits and xylol adding another $25. about 50 total. Rattle cans would have been more, as would powdercoating, and i have way too many nuts welded to this thing to have to chase them all clean ... again.
Even though he owns his own collision repair shop, my brother won't spray any of his toys, automotive paint is way too expensive these days, he goes the powdercoating route.

Part II of the paintwork comes when i finish painting the cladding and install it in a few days. makes it a completely different animal ....