View Single Post
Old 04-28-2012, 08:34 PM
Heavy Contributor

Are you using a straight aftermarket axle? If so then locking collars on both sides of the bearing will help solve the issue. I use locking collars on both sides of my brake and sprocket hubs mainly to keep the keys fron shifting out. Use the split collars, the cheap solid ones with the set screws don't last. No matter how tight you get them or what type of thread locker you use your still going to loose the set screw.
I use 1" solid keywayed axles so the best thing I did that cured all sorts of problems was to get some schedule 40 thick wall pvc pipe with a 1" inner dia, Cut the pipe to the various lengths to fit as spacers between all the bearings, sprocket hubs and wheel hubs, any free space where the axle is exposed. When the wheel hubs are tightened on the axle ends any lateral freeplay is eliminated. All the axle componets are held in place. Plus the pipe sleave protects the axle from nicks and dings. This really helps when you have to remove the axle. One tiny little nick can really make it tough to slide a bearing off. Applying a light coat of grease to the axle before sliding the spacers on keeps rust and corrosion off the axle surface.
The white sections in this pic are the various lengths of pipe. Make sure all your brake and sprocket hubs are lined up perfect and the axle is centered in the swing arm cause there's no lateral adjustment after it's all assembled.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg newest 003.jpg (98.2 KB, 16 views)