View Single Post
Old 05-01-2012, 06:27 PM
Power User

I think this has to be the longest running yerf front end "development" ever ... But i think I finally have it ...

Eliminated welding a tube over the existing rod--no need for it, as a matter of fact, the ball and rod thickness matched pretty close, so after welding the plates onto the rods (couple chunks of angle iron steel) I just had to finish file them to fit over the balls.

Now i can drop the shocks into steeper positions further inboard, increasing ride height, but at the same time reducing the effort needed to compress the springs. as it sits now, this is about the stiffest setting. when i move the shocks, it will settle into close to the same position with me in it.

Present clearance is 13 at the nose, and 11.5 further back because of the angle of the front end.

Found a supplier that has 12 mm high misalignment spacers that reduce the center to 10 mm, something i need to do to get more upward travel out of the arms and also get the rod joints on a better angle by angling the top and bottom of the mount tube a little shallower. It will also let me eliminate a 1/8th or so out of parallel condition between the tie rods and swingarms. after that, this front end is absolutely fini!

For ckau, (or anyone else for that matter) some numbers you might find helpful ...
stock rack length, added 11 teeth to center it. Gives 1 3/4 turns lock to lock.

my swingarm length bolt center to center is 16 inches (all equal length)

steering arm is 4 and 5/8ths on center from the spindle center (longer than yours i believe, which is why i likely need more teeth cut)

tie rod length is 12 inches from rack end (no hardware on it) to the center of the steering arm mount bolt. heim and clevis add 1 5/8ths.

steering arm is 3.5 inches from the axle center to the center of the tie rod end heim (vertical measurement)

steering arm is front steer and set for negative ackerman, about 6 to 8 degrees to center

Now, after painting these things it's back to the proctology session
Attached Images
File Type: jpg tr2.jpg (55.1 KB, 64 views)
File Type: jpg tr3.jpg (62.3 KB, 60 views)
File Type: jpg tr1.jpg (90.2 KB, 85 views)

Last edited by x-bird; 05-01-2012 at 06:31 PM.