View Single Post
Old 05-18-2012, 04:25 PM
Power User

BTW, checked my manual--pics above are a 3 images in 2 seconds sequence ... ))))

And the damage

Turns out my rear rims are spiderbox front rims, so a new used one is on the way from bmi via e-bay ... bottom of my thigh is still sore!

New misalignment spacers on on the way from midwest, only need one, picked up 2

Decided to pick up some 10mm 6061 aluminum rod stock from McMaster Carr and make my own through bolts for the steering arm.

gotta torch the spindle and straighten it. That gusset used to be a straight run.

I've got about 2.5 inches of clearance between the tire and frame, wish i had a high speed camera shot of the front a-arms at impact. tire hit the frame, nothing i can find on the a-armson either end or mounts, heims etc. that shows anything is bent or damaged other than the steering arm. It hit square on the stump and drove up about a foot of suspension travel then pushed around the stump and past it. buggy never stopped forward travel and barely slowed--just a big slam. 3 weeks ago that was a full tree, now it's hidden in fast growing undergrowth and ivy--drove into it on the gas with no clue it was coming.

I think the impact did something in the electrical, I shut it off to survey the damage and it wouldn't restart, just clicks back at the solenoid. even with a charger on it it clicks and then gives an very weak occasional turn-over of the engine. either the ign switch or solenoid is fried, or the battery is internally shorted. It was dripping a bit out of the vent tube afterwards.

Honestly despite the sad face, i'm really happy with the rear swingarm build, the jump landing was a brute that would have done much more damage without the added bearing and hub/axle work.

The front end is same old story, I need something that breaks easily in that spot. Wish i could say i'd just stay away from the stumps and trees but if i ever get the chance to race this thing, the rocks on the course aren't much different.

rear tires hook really nicely, got more understeer up front because of how well they're hooking compared to the turf tires, but it also doesn't want to oversteer out from under me at speed on the wide grass turns like it did with the old tires.....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg again.jpg (40.5 KB, 36 views)
File Type: jpg again1.jpg (57.7 KB, 43 views)
File Type: jpg again2.jpg (51.1 KB, 36 views)
File Type: jpg again3.jpg (60.1 KB, 33 views)

Last edited by x-bird; 05-18-2012 at 05:08 PM.