View Single Post
Old 05-24-2012, 11:21 PM
Power User

axle diameter looks like mine, about 1 inch, maybe off a golf cart. not sure what the trailer hubs take. it may be that or a golf cart hub. If you have any local metal recycling yards, they can be a gold mine for atvs, buggies and golf carts. all you pay is for weight, so things come pretty cheaply. Get in good with them, and they'll set them aside and not destroy them right away. paid $45 for an 85 Suzy quadrunner with a 250 in it. there's a polaris with no engine, just trans frame and suspension that will be about $30 by weight and a golf cart that will run me about $100. (spare hubs and rear end for evaluation and possible rear axle setup) After i'm done with the stuff it goes back and i get some of the money back--maybe even come out even or ahead if i sell off parts. So if you're on a budget, it's worth a half or trip. i have a few to choose from within 15 minutes.

Spindle fab comes in a couple varieties, tubular with a central kingpin (like he has and i also made--but slightly different in pivot methods) and box tubing with pivots off of ball joints or heims. Metal is right on about golf cart hub weight, with that much you have to build the spindle and lower good and strong. upper arm isn't an issue if the shock mounts to the lower. tubular spindle s tend to be lighter. I went with cro-mo tubing for the a-arms and spindles and am very glad i did. Suspension geometry boils down to what you prefer the front wheels to be doing and that relates to the terrain you ride on more than anything. pro and con arguments can be made for equal and unequal length arms and parallel or intersecting mounting position heights. If you plan a build, work up your frame ideas and try and study as much suspension theory as you can before you commit to building it.

Last edited by x-bird; 05-24-2012 at 11:34 PM.