View Single Post
Old 06-10-2012, 07:13 PM
Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by GDAccent View Post
roysheepdog ~ Ok, so then how do you figure in and "droop"? And if the A-Arms are going to be offset, then are we talking about a 2-4" length difference, being the upper is shorter I presume?

Is there a way or program to calculate for this or droop? And what kind of shocks/coils or
should I use? For example If I want the A-Arms to be about 1.5ft. long.

So as I am doing more research on the direction I want to take this buggy..Its pretty much turning out to be more like a Sidewinder. The blue one at top was just the original thought design I wanted to go, well pretty much, I want to do a combo between the styles. I am not a fan of the engine being on my side, so I still want to do a swing suspension in the back. But I want to do the front suspension end like the Sidewinder.

I found a link to a guy fron AU I think that built a mini Sidewinder as he called it. I guess scaled down, but his pic of the front suspension is pretty much exactly I want to go. I was thinking of buying the IFS plans which is $20 + $5 shipping, or I can figure some of this out with my father in law. All I really need to know it just dimensions and I have pics for reference and I can pretty much get it done.

This one pic is why I was looking into quad/atv arms, because its pretty common to see...

But I also like this front Sidewinder pic of suspension...

And a close up of the mini Sidewinder I was mentioning...

Yesterday I got a start on cutting the metal...my father in law got some semi truck trailer panels from one of his sons friends, they are 9.5' x 11'. I didn't have gas for the torch cutting so use my new high speed cutter from Harbor Freight..But I will definitely have 100ft to use or less...

Yes the square tube needs to be cleaned up, but there are 6-7 more panels I can use if need to.
This is the calc. to help with how long the aarms should be.First you need to know how wide the frame will be between the aarms, then how long the bottom aarm will be(keep in mind how wide the buggy will be).

http://www.racingaspirations.com/?p=286

The shocks will depend on how you build the buggy,how high the shock mount will be and travel.Some use utv shocks but shocks are all about $$$.I would decide how much travel I wanted and build from there.

with droop most people have 40-50%,that way the wheel will go up as well as down.The plans are a good start and if you like the specs for the side winder go for it.I would look around to see if some others would be a better fit for what you want.

FABRICATION ITS HARDER THAN YOU THINK