View Single Post
Old 07-02-2012, 03:44 AM
Lurker

the engine dies unless you have the throttle wide open, and it spits fuel into the air filter. I could tell the previous owners ran it hard, but there is not much wear on the engine, the kart was driven into something so hard it bent the frame in the front to a 90 degree angle. it was also apparent that the chain had never been oiled either. and the throttle does not move until the gas pedal is all the way down. I had a murray explorer with the same engine as a kid and it ran like a top. the people we bought it from said that it had maybe 20 hours on it. judging by the wear on the body of the kart, and past experience, that may not be the karts first engine. Oh! and one last thing. when it is wide open the kart also just crawls along, I really don't want to scrap that engine, and hope all the trouble is just a dirty carb. And, when I set the idle screw so that the engine does not die, it sort of sputters and tries to pull the kart. I am getting some new air filters for it tomorrow, that was one of the first things I checked for. if it were an air intake issue, the engine would run when I loosen the cover for the air filter, I would think.

Last edited by gallowraven; 07-02-2012 at 03:58 AM.