View Single Post
Old 07-12-2012, 10:33 PM
Power User

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckau View Post
I'm also on the prowl for some swingarm bushings or an alternative. I like the heim idea. Easy enough to fab up, cheap, strong enough and the ability to align the rear to get the wheel base square but... I'm also concerned about the insulating propertys of the rubber bushing! Will the heims transmit engine vibration? Will the rear suspension feel harsh without the rubber cushion?
NVH I'd say that the stock bushings do offer some absorption of vibration/harshness, the engine is rubber bushed so that soaks up most of it from that source. IMHO, it's better to pick up a bit of the harshness associated with solid bushings at the pivots and eliminate the steering deflection that comes with the rubber bushings. Just have to keep a closer watch on the swingarm tubing junctions and mount welds--they will take more of a beating. overall i don't think you'd fell much of a difference at all, it may improve because of the precision of a heim ball and socket.

For want of something that i could find to fit locally, my rear shocks are running white nylon bushings--i welded the new shock mounts in at the stock width only to find it was much narrower than a fox shock bushing. didn't seem to affect things much until the bushings got bad--i can feel the rear alignment drift around at speed in a straight line and the banging over even moderate bumps is pretty nasty.

since i lack a lathe and a drill press, i don't want to attempt to make my own, i know what they'll end up looking like ... enco has pre-drilled 1" OD bronze stock for a reasonable price--i also need some of it for my a-arms and spindles. they're only bushed at the ends of the tubes.