Thread: New project
View Single Post
Old 07-17-2012, 07:59 PM
Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by metalstudman1 View Post
Roysheepdog- Since I don't read other forums I wouldn't know what's being suggested!!! I don't have "any" scrub issues with even A-arms & 10" of travel. I feel I did build mine right/correctly for the buggy. I don't think anyone here has "told" someone what to build- we've only provided opinions on what can & will work based off personal experience. I'm fairly new to the go kart/mini-buggy world- but not to the racing world. I would encourage any and all information available for individuals to evaluate for the best possible solution that meets their skills, tooling & financial capabilities.
I dont think you know what scrub means.It has nothing to do with how long aarms are.

wikipedia:
The scrub radius is the distance in front view between the king pin axis and the center of the contact patch of the wheel, where both would theoretically touch the road.
The kingpin axis is the line between the upper and lower ball joints of the hub. On a MacPherson strut, the top pivot point is the strut bearing, and the bottom point is the lower ball joint. The inclination of the steering axis is measured as the angle between the steering axis and the centerline of the wheel. This means that if the camber angle is adjustable within the pivot points the scrub radius can be changed, this alters the width and offset of the tires on a vehicle.
If the kingpin axis intersection point is outboard of the center of the contact patch it is negative, if inside the contact patch it is positive. The term scrub radius derives from the fact that either in the positive or negative mode, the tire does not turn on its centerline (it scrubs the road in a turn) and due to the increased friction, more effort is needed to turn the wheel[citation need

FABRICATION ITS HARDER THAN YOU THINK