Thread: stroker crank
View Single Post
Old 07-29-2012, 07:16 AM
Heavy Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny 5 View Post
We ride alot of wide open throttle in the desert and am not sure if a stroker crank is good for this type of riding. I am making myself a little nuts playing all the possible combos. I cant leave it stock because I have got gy6 buggy fever. Any suggestions?
Yep! there's all sort of combinations. You have to ask yourself what is most important. power or dependability? There's that compromise thing, performance versus practical. As you go more exotic so dependibility goes down at a alarming rate!
IMO- I would keep displacment and stroke as small as feasible. Look for gains with head work as in porting, valves and springs. A suitable cam. a good exhaust header. a matched carb. These will give good power without sacrificing dependability.
Focus on keeping the motor cool. Heat is your worst enemy! Smaller displacments have thicker cylinder walls to aid in cooling. Oil coolers are a must! Jetting rich as possible helps too. Header wrap keeps heat in the pipe and blown out the back! All these subtile additions add up to give good power without a loss in service.
I truely love a full bore, stroked gy6! I love the way it sounds the way it feels, but the thrill is short lived! There's as much if not more tuning and rebuild time as there is riding time. Riding at home ? you know it's the way to go. but away for the weekend? I'd use a motor that won't leave me walking and spoil the trip.