View Single Post
Old 09-29-2012, 12:52 AM
Lurker

So after the engine plate surprise i went on looking. I noticed the passenger side axle bearing was sitting all cocked in the retainer. I was thinking maybe the bearing was going bad. I decided to play it safe and drop the axle out so I could get a good look at the bearings. I put the kart up on a jack stand and pulled the bolts out. Something unexpected happened... nothing. the axle, bearing retainers, bearings, etc didnt move. I found this odd. I gave it a pound with my hand and still it remained perfectly still. I have it a kick and it "popped" out. so I checked the bearings. They were fine on both sides. I checked the retainer mounts on the chassis for signs of being bent. paint was all good and so were the welds. ok. I go to put the axle back in. What do ya know it wont go back in. I can get one side or the other to slide up and in but the other side goes up at such a steep angle it will not slide up and in. call it a quality control oversight, but the chassis mounts are not in the right place on the passenger side. they are up higher on the tube which moves them out when compaired to the drivers side. this in turn makes them to wide and now I cant get the axle back in. I have no idea how they got it together at the factory but even a 3 pound sledge wont caress the retainer into place. Again, I have torches, grinders, and a welder at my disposal sunday so this isnt a huge issue, its just a pain in the butt. I will snap some pics when I get back to the karts (they are not at my house since this is for my son and he dont know yet).

Chris