View Single Post
Old 12-13-2012, 10:48 AM

Default Heim Joint A-arms

Hello, I have a Yerfi GX150 that I want to convert the A-arm bushing design to Heim joints. I just fitted this one with the BD HD balljoint kit, and if and when they fail, I will look at heims for them as well. For now I want to trash the bushing design currently in use for something better. I read metalstud's thread on his suspension build, and although I love the travel and geometry engineered into it, I don't have the tools or resources available for that type of fabrication, yet.. What I would like to do is brace the control arms approx. 1/2" out from the stock bushing tube and lopp the tube off and insert bungs for 5/8" heims. Doing some rough math, I come up with the arms being from 1/2-1" longer, and would give me the camber and caster adjustments I'm seeking as well. With this plan, I am also looking for some 11 or 12" shocks up front prior to the major fabrication as I know this will dictate just how much I will need to do. I'm not looking to pull down houses with this rig, and not likely to hit any real mud or water holes with the current CVT/Howhit engine installed, but I might change my mind once I swap in an RM80 engine later on down the road. I'm looking for stability, reliability, adjustability, and cost effective.

Buggy info:
'04 YD GX150 in stock form
Equal length A-ams
3rd Gen spindles, already braced for impact
Wish list:
18-20" front tires
11-12" front shocks

Last edited by Masteryota; 12-14-2012 at 10:37 AM. Reason: more info