Thread: Honda ATC help
View Single Post
Old 03-01-2013, 11:54 AM

This one does have the semi-auto 5 speed, and my concern is the same as yours about moving something 2 to 3 times the weight of the original chassis and rider. According to the spec pages, this model came with 11/42 resulting in 3.9:1 final drive ratio. I'll stay with the 11 up front, as going any smaller on a 520 chain will result in binding and excessive wear. I am curious if there is a heavier clutch spring out there to avoid slippage, at least that was the fix for my aging clutch on my vulcan 1500, it started to slip when I hammered down in 2nd gear after 30k miles.

A change to, say 4.6:1 I wouldn't think would be a giant change, and it would be possible with the most popular jackshaft gear sizes, but I don't know too much about the internal clutches, guess I'm off to read the manual again.

Did a little digging, and found, at least for my Honda, that there are HD springs and replacement plates for a good price, if I can get mine running and ride it a bit before I tear it out of the frame, and it don't slip, I might just go with the springs, since it shouldn't have damaged the plates if it hasn't started slipping yet. Now my main concern at this part is the centrifugal main clutch, that is responsible for getting the unit moving, and that is where the most stress will be inflicted, not so much on the up and down shifting, which is handled by the conventional plate and spring set up, but I would like the insurance that I have good springs in there to start.

Last edited by Masteryota; 03-01-2013 at 12:55 PM. Reason: Research, always researching