View Single Post
Old 05-28-2013, 10:33 PM
Power User

started in on teardown and minor tweaking.

first thing i did was pull all the wiring out of the looms and organized the runs to have something decent since a quad's layout is just a tad different.

Also found the needle-in-the-haystack correct regulator on e-bay (i let the smoke out of a gy6 one i was trying to use when i was first attempting to fire it up--no spare cans of Lucas smoke around either ... ;~) Wiring ate up most of the day.

Put a cut in the exhaust to straighten out the run and move the muffler away from the air filter. Need to weld that up tomorrow so i can add a real muffler hangar then pull the engine since that's the last bit of fab work needed in the engine area.

Also have to slot the rear jackshaft holes.

Any power transmission/gear ratio gurus here?

I keep getting the nagging idea that a double jackshaft/sprocket run negates any effect of the intermediate sprockets in terms of final ratio. I'm going 11T engine back to an 11T with a 16T on the other end of that jackshaft that then goes to an 11T jackshaft which finally feeds to the 32T drive sprocket. I keep thinking that no matter what's on the jackshaft behind the engine, its going to always work out to 11-32.

any thoughts????