View Single Post
Old 11-05-2013, 10:38 PM
Contributor

1) Seat belts. The ones on my Yerf have holes in them, aren't tightening, are tangled. Anyone have suggested replacements?

Just about anything is better than the stock Yerf belts, it all depends on your wallet. Here are a couple of examples.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/PAIR-JDM-4-P...71f38c&vxp=mtr

http://www.ebay.com/itm/3-4-Point-Ra...e8fcc0&vxp=mtr

3) Any ideas to make an engine quieter (bolt on Howhit mufflers?)

You could adapt a stock motorcycle muffler, an example would be from a Yamaha TTR125.

4) If I have a battery hooked up to the engine that is used to start it, will the stator charge the battery while the motor is running? And what is the different between a stator and an alternator?

The electrical system will charge the battery. In essence, the stator is just one part of an alternator. The stator is just a set of wire coils that are bolted to the case. You also have the rotor that contains permanent magnets. As the magnets pass by the coils of wire, they induce an expanding and collapsing magnetic field onto the coils. This produces a voltage and a flow of AC current. On a GY6 this current is then converted to DC by the external rectifier/ voltage regulator.

5) My breaks are weirdly weak, and I don't like it plenty of brake fluid, no leaks or broken lines, and the pads are practically RUBBING against the disk?

Most likely cause is by air in the lines. These buggies have such a small master cylinder, it can be a real PITA to bleed the brakes

7) Has anyone used a small solar panel to charge an accessory battery onboard? I am considering doing this, and letting one battery ONLY start the motor, and have the other battery charged by 1) A solar panel. Or 2) An occasional wall charger. Along with letting the other battery run lights, and a possible small radio.

Not really cost effective. Just buy a good quality battery and let it run everything. When not in use, use a good trickle charger or put it on a small battery charger at regular intervals.

10) If I go to put blaster shocks on the rear, can I compensate for the extra lift in the rear with big(ish) tires in the front?

Larger tires are always a good idea, especially on the Yerf. The small diameter of the front tires tend to fall into holes rather than riding over them. Just larger wheels and tires alone can greatly increase the ride comfort. Of course if you go bigger on the back, you will need to look at gearing changes

Didn’t answer them all, so I guess I don’t get the cookie .

Just added - 2007 Joyner 250 SV - Let the fun begin

4-Dirt Bikes, Baja Bug and enough toys to keep me in the garage and out of trouble.