View Single Post
Old 11-12-2013, 06:38 PM

I agree with both sides here. As a flat rate tech, time IS money, and doing something the long or wrong way, or having to do it again is not acceptable. There are so many variables in buggy frames and designs out there, and according to what you really want out of them and their intended purpose. You want a gearbox type 200-300cc quad engine, ok great, those are pretty readily available used. Do you wnat a swing arm rear end, or independent rear? What type of front end do you want? How big can you go? These all need to be answered way before making the first purchase.

If you are looking to do a few of these, I recommend starting out with a used 150-250cc buggy frame, and drop in an engine you want to use. You will find out very quickly how much time is consumed in figuring out how to solve an issue without just throwing money at it, or outsourcing it to a shop. Tomberline, Yerf Dog(spiderbox), and Hammerhead frames can be found for cheap running or not, and then start off with the swap. Make that project for the kids to play on, that way you can do minimal upgrades as they won't likely push the limits as much as you or I would. you can always go back and fix or upgrade as they break while you build your serious machine.

That being said, the main question I like to ask. What is the intended use for these? Trails, flat land, circle track, street, sand dunes, etc.? The intended purpose really needs to dictate the size and type of suspension you would need. you can have all the power in the world, but if you can't get to where you want to go, it don't mean much.

'04 Dazon Raider 150 'modded'