View Single Post
Old 11-17-2013, 03:29 PM
Heavy Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmymc2286 View Post
Fauxfox, I can understand your wanting a new buggy. The Hammerhead is a great buggy, so is the Trailmaster, both good choices. I'm not sure they are the best choice for you. You said you don't know how to work on the engine, or do the mods to the frame, or repairs that require more than bolt on parts.
You would be far better off keeping the Yerf Dog, and spending your money on some tools. For the price of a new buggy you can get all the tools you would need to build your own. With just a handful of wrenches you can rebuild a gy6. They are a very simple engine and you can find all the information you need right here.
You can buy a 110 volt mig welder from one of the discount stores for under $300 and in no time you will be welding like a pro. You can buy a used one for under $100. With a welder, angle grinder, tubing bender, and some time, there is nothing you can not build. Your age is not an issue. The only thing you have to decide is that you can do it.
The fact is your Yerf is not the best buggy, but with a little work and a lot less money than a new one it can be. When you are finished you still have the tools to build the next project.
Last thing. Building it if far better than buying it. No matter what it is.
And NOW you just brought up the other side of me! So, essentially about 2000 is my budget, and the question is....

Should I just spend the money on a new/very nice cond. used kart and make a few minor bolt on mods, or should I invest in some tools and make a learning experience out of it? I am a very "hands on" kind of person, and I love making things on my own (I want to build a PC, and I actually disassembled and reassembled my desktop, my friends laptop, and an old laptop of my dad's...they all started up fine and work JUUUUUST great ). I'll look into purchasing these tools and the learning curve behind them, it's a prospect I would LOVE to look into, and these skill sets would DEFINITELY be helpful throughout my life.

Edit: On the note of building is better than buying, recently I did a "KipKay" project (neat project ideas on Youtube) called the "Cheapy Laser Lighter Burner" the idea is to hollow out a Bic lighter and put a laser module in that is powerful enough to burn paper and pop balloons. First off, I didn't use a burning module , and second, I had to buy a soldering iron and some solder, along with a few hand tools and bits to work on it. At the time, I was quite mad with having to pay a whole $30 () for the iron, and 10 for the solder, but it's come in handy since then. I agree with you, and I am currently on Harbor Freight checking out tools. ^_^
Heavy Duty Chain Tensioner
Canvas Roof/Netting
Key Start
LED Brake Lights
Headlights

SOLD!

Last edited by TheFauxFox; 11-17-2013 at 03:36 PM.