View Single Post
Old 02-11-2015, 08:43 PM
Lite Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by liduno View Post
Pretty sure there are a few different sizes for that, you just have to make sure you don't go so small the chain hits the head of the mounting bolts.

Numbers is a member on this site that just did some gearing for his He could probaly tell you were to get the gear.

Here is his thread.
http://www.buggymasters.com/forum/showthread.php?t=5255
I think Dan68rs that you should first make sure that whatever sprocket you finally decide on fits your chain. My engine came with the wrong sprocket for my chain. Ended up with a correct sprocket after all was said and done. Wasn't necessarily worried about changing the gearing for top end or bottom end or anything like that. There are a lot of factors to take into account when changing gearing but in the end it is a driver's area of preference.

Here is some additional information;

[IMG]http://www.*****************/img/chadim.jpg[/IMG]

Chain No. Pitch Roller Diameter Roller Width Pin Diameter
#25 1/4 inch 0.130 inch 1/8 inch
#35 3/8 inch 0.200 inch 3/16 inch 1/8 inch
#420 1/2 inch 5/16 inch 1/4 inch 5/32 inch
#428 1/2 inch 0.335 inch 5/16 inch
#520 5/8 inch 0.400 inch 1/4 inch
#530 5/8 inch 0.400 inch 3/8 inch

P.S. Don't forget to check your bolt pattern of the current sprocket in addition to making sure you have the right sprocket for the right chain.

Note: Here is a pretty neat chart that will give you an idea of gear ratio:

Dan68rs: Check the other thread for more info and avoiding pitfalls of changing gears. There are some pretty smart people here that could probably quote what gear ratio you need off the top of their head for your driving preference.

Last note: There are suppliers here with SYC, Gopowersports, Jersey, etc... that should be able to get you a sprocket but if they can't, PM me and I'll give you the source but the English speaking sales associate is difficult to understand.

Last edited by Numbers; 02-11-2015 at 08:48 PM.